Replacement Edge Strips for Plunge Saw Track

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I need to replace the edge strips on my Dewalt plunge saw and wondered if anyone had any experience of this. What I am wondering is whether the Makita replacement strips or other alternative would work on a Dewalt track. I can not think of a reason why not but wondered if I had missed something. The main reason for this is the cost of the Dewalt replacement strips which frankly are a rip off. From a search online the cost seems to be between £25 - £30 for a 1.65m length. By the time you have replaced both sides its nearly the price of the track itself and I have two that need new edges. I dont mind paying for quality but this just feels like I am being taken for a ride (only way I could think of saying it politely)!. The Makita edges are a fraction of this cost.

I can't think of a reason why it would be an issue to use the makita one. I'll be using it on my evolution tracks soon.

I use the Makita strips on my Festool tracks all the time, only issue is that they are slightly narrower than OEM so need off setting a touch. You can normally get a couple of edges out of each strip if you remove and re-attach a few mm over once the first edge is worn.

I bought some Makita strip a couple of years ago, and was extremely annoyed to find the new ones are not the same thickness as the original ones. It throws off the bevel adjustment, by a hard-to-measure amount.

With hindsight, I suggest getting some double-sided tape and moving the worn strip outwards a bit so you can cut a new clean edge. That will at least buy you some time. Obviously you need to measure the rubber thickness carefully before buying replacement, although, if the DW track can be used either way round, a pair of new strips won't upset it, no matter what thickness they are.

Thanks all, will check out Petes YouTube channel. Hadn't even crossed my mind to move them over a bit and re-cut (can't see the wood for the trees etc!) will try that, just ened to order some double sided tape.

Interesting idea the ply, my only reservation would be the thickness. The edge strips are just over a millemetre thick (maybe 2 at most). If you have anything thicker will stop the friction strips from doing their job properly. That said if it works, it works.

by sammy.se » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:58 am
SammyQ wrote:
Thin ply, double-sided tape. It works!

Sam.
Is it better?

Sammy.se, yes, it is. The ply is more rigid than the rubber, leaves a clean edging, cheap as chips, replaceable. Just need GOOD double-sided tape...DAMHIKT...

Sam

SammyQ":3vfyihpw said:
by sammy.se » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:58 am
SammyQ wrote:
Thin ply, double-sided tape. It works!

Sam.
Is it better?

Sammy.se, yes, it is. The ply is more rigid than the rubber, leaves a clean edging, cheap as chips, replaceable. Just need GOOD double-sided tape...DAMHIKT...

Sam
Just on that what tape do you use - any recommendations?

For the splinter strips I use this stuff Splinter strip, Just measure the thickness and width of the original and search for similar spec.
Double sided tape Tesa Tape I've tried other cheaper tapes but the Tesa works best and is worth the premium price.
Also the grip strip I use is this Soft Neoprene
Not advocating Amazon for any of these it's just where I found the best prices at the time.

Cornersruns":3rnz7kes said:
For the splinter strips I use this stuff Splinter strip, Just measure the thickness and width of the original and search for similar spec.
Double sided tape Tesa Tape I've tried other cheaper tapes but the Tesa works best and is worth the premium price.
Also the grip strip I use is this Soft Neoprene
Not advocating Amazon for any of these it's just where I found the best prices at the time.
Thanks Cornersuns, really helpful.

Yup. Tesa. 3M not far behind. Just has to be fresh. Old stuff seems to lose its adhesion; I got into a right horlicks when I had to use acroll from the depths of the toolbox...

Sam

Latest posts

Back