Replacement Dremel collet nut (that isn't a Dremel thread)?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
I've got an old Dremel-like rotary tool from the long defunct Focus DIY group, but the collet nut has vanished into the ether.

Dremel's appear to have either 9/32" x 40TPI (older) or M8 x 0.75mm (newer) threads; but the spindle on this thing is M8 x 1.00mm. Anyone come across a brand/supplier that has this type?

Maybe the nut from a Rotozip or similar tool and maybe one of the Foredom hand pieces might fit. It is quite possible it was proprietary and you'll have to modify a collet nut or the shaft to take a more popular one. You still have the collets or do you need them too?

Pete

Still got the collets.

I opened the tool up this evening to see if I could remove the spindle; maybe to turn it down, freeze it, slip on a ring of metal, then cut an M8 x 0.75mm thread... but unfortunately the spindle looks to be a solid part with the motor.

That said, having opening it up and seen the quality of the insides I'm tempted just to buy a real Dremel and cut my losses.

Still got the collets.

I opened the tool up this evening to see if I could remove the spindle; maybe to turn it down, freeze it, slip on a ring of metal, then cut an M8 x 0.75mm thread... but unfortunately the spindle looks to be a solid part with the motor.

That said, having opening it up and seen the quality of the insides I'm tempted just to buy a real Dremel and cut my losses.

Apparently Dremel quality has gone down the pan of late according to the gossip so if you do buy a new one, get a Proxxon one instead, they're very good.

Martin.

Have a look at draper storm force I was a life long Dremel fan but go fed up with their customer service I optd for a Draper great kit and interchangeable batteries with other draper kit

Thanks both - I'll take a look. I wouldn't usually touch Draper stuff with a bargepole, but I guess it's all Chinese made these days so if they just happen to have bought/badged a decent model it's worth considering.

I've used Dremels, mainly cordless, for several years now.
Moved to their EZ Speedclick system when they came out for ease of changing discs, but recently the quality has plummeted. I had to cut some old wood screws recently and the centre of every disc spun out after only one cut, meaning it was costing a euro to cut one screw.
I wrote to Dremel (Bosch) to voice my displeasure at this, but after a stock reply to say that my email would be forwarded to the appropriate department...... Nothing after that.
It seems to be the way of the world now. No real customer service, especially from big companies.

I cant seem to find the address but theres a great place for tooling spares (electrical) in Southampton....
I found them very helpful and the guy's there know there stuff....

Apparently Dremel quality has gone down the pan of late according to the gossip so if you do buy a new one, get a Proxxon one instead, they're very good.

Martin.
I've got a Proxxon long nose drill, much better & more comfortable to use. My Dremel has not got enough power t drive a 1" sanding pad, so will be selling it a some point.

Back