Replacement chip extractor impeller - help please!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefab

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Kity 694/695 chip extractor to connect to my planer-thicknesser. Unfortunately I was using the extractor to clean up the floor and the workbench when Bang! one of my wooden bench dogs flew up the tube and shattered the impeller. Unfortunately I'd removed the bars guarding the intake as all the chips from the P/T were getting hung up on it and blocking it every 30s....

I have contacted NMA Agencies (the former Kity importer), who tell me that they have no spares available. The Record power spares are apparently unsuitable. Charnwood's steel fans are slightly oversize but might fit (305mm vs 274mm, I need to measure casing when I get home), but the bore is 20 or 21 mm and my motor has a 14mm shaft. I've done Google and Ebay searches for reducing sleeves of that size with no success. I also spoke to Beatson fans and motors (an industrial fan and motor supplier found via google) who can make a replacement impeller for £300 to £400!!

The extractor only cost me £20, but to buy a new equivalent would be £200 or so, so it is worth doing a bit of work to get this going again.

Does anyone have any other ideas about how I might source a replacement impeller? Or does anyone have a dead Kity extractor that they would like to sell the impeller from??!

Thanks for your help.

Can you not just epoxy broken bits back on? Also maybe use some thin ally to reinforce all the blades.

Probably a stupid question, but will it not work as it is. If it's a question of imbalance, something stuck on to balance it would do the job. I suppose the broken off bit is beyond repair?

SNAP

Thanks for the replies.
Yes perhaps I should start by trying just gluing it back together. Aluminium is also a nice idea. The balance is currently absolutely awful.... The machine wants to dance across the room!

Amazing how very simple solutions can pass me by!

Having dug through the waste bag I have recovered the two main missing pieces plus an extra fragment or two. I've nothing to lose by trying araldite and then maybe sandwiching all the fins in aluminium for strength and balance. I suspect that epoxy alone wouldn't be strong enough?

Mike

Epoxy glue should be strong enough, I was reading a thread last night where someone used it to glue round bar to top of a lathe tool rest, with no problems.

3d printer? No idea of cost involved but looks like the ideal part to make on one.

Thanks again everyone. I epoxied it back together last night. Didn't get time to grab a photo this morning but will try it out tonight and post a pic of my liberal application of araldite!

If it works then the extractor is definitely on light duties and staying attached to the P/T and not getting used as a shop vac again! There is always the aluminium composite option to hold in reserve.

JamesC - thanks for the very kind offer. If I ultimately need a replacement with a larger bore I'll drop you a line.

Marcros - Interesting! I could probably get access to a 3D printer through the university which I work for - no idea what the strength of the resin that those things use is like.

Cheers,

Success! Here is a picture of the repaired impeller:

And here is the extractor back on duty with my other recent acquisition/project:

I put a few boards over the planer with no problems and just hope that it will stay the course. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and encouragement.

I have had success with reinforcing epoxy with cloth, mostly on mounting lugs on my motorbike side panels, so it it does disintegrate you could use some cloth over the joints.

Pete

Back