replacement carbide cutters and ID-ing this plywood w/ pics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradleyheathhays

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I got this cheap 3 piece carbide tool set off Amazon and now I'm ready to upgrade to something with negative rake. Are there negative rake replacement carbide cutters for my set or will I have to go with a whole new set that's specifically negative rake?

Also, I'm trying to find plywood similar to what's in the picture below but so far I haven't been able to find anything similar. The picture is of the side of a vase that a guy in Germany made, so who knows what stuff is available over there. As it's only the sides of the plywood that shows that's the only surface I'm interested in. I can find sheets of 3/4" baltic birch with 11 thin layers and poplar and others with much larger middle layers, just nothing with these middle size layers. I'm all ears on where to find something like this. I'm fairly sure it's 3/4".

Thanks.

tool 1.jpg

tool 2.jpg

plywood plies.jpg

Turns out getting replacement NR carbide cutters for no name brand tools isn't as easy as I thought. Such as the case may be, I've decided to upgrade myself to the 24.5" full size 3 piece carbide set from Easy Wood Tools, or the equivalent thereof.

Seems like you could get the EW tool set with NR cutters pre-installed but nope, you gotta buy the NR by themselves, so the total for the 3 tools and replacement cutters is gonna be something like $425. Can anyone suggest a similar 3 piece NR carbide cutter tool set that's functionally equal to the full size 24" Easy Wood set I'm eyeing but doesn't cost as much?

Thanks!

Also, I'm trying to find plywood similar to what's in the picture below but so far I haven't been able to find anything similar.

View attachment 137531
As you're in the US I suggest you go to your local Home Depot or Lowes, or any other big DIY place and have a look at the plywood they have on the racks. I just went online to both from here in the UK, and each had a selection of that type of plywood with different show faces. Once you've found what you're looking for, note the type, e.g., manufacturer, name or board descriptor, face veneer, number of ply layers and go from there. Mostly that type of 3/4" thick plywood will have nine layers which is what's shown in your photograph, or lesser stuff might just have seven layers. Show faces available will be maple, poplar, a softwood, etc. Price will be an indication of quality, i.e., cheaper means lesser quality.

After you've gathered the necessary information it's then just a case of deciding where to buy what you want. Home Depot and Lowes will be expensive in comparison to lumber yards that sell mostly to the trade or professionals, but if you need just a small piece, say half a sheet, it may be worth just buying what you've found rather than spending half a day or more finding a better price. Slainte.

Thanks for the advice Sgian. Turns out I was able to get in contact with the guy who made the video and the plywood is actually 20mm Beech supplied somewhere in Europe. So I've got about zero chances of finding that here in the states at an affordable price. The plywood I'm looking for will be used in a turning project and the face won't even be seen, and that's the part you pay the high price for. Actually, what I need is any kind of no-void plywood that reproduces the look. I'm just learning that 'no-void' plywood is a thing so I'm trying to get up to speed on where to source such a thing.

Thanks again!

Back