Replacement batteries for cordless tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodchips2

Established Member
Reaction score
About 5 or 6 years ago I bought a Makita 10.8v drill and impact driver set. The reason I bought a small set was my grandson was helping me build a wood store and he would have struggled with the weight of the 18v drill. Over the years I have used this set in preference to the 18v because it is so light to handle and so much easier to use up a ladder.

The 1.3A lithium ion batteries have started to show signs of age so I am in the market for new ones. I can get a pair of Makita batteries from Screwfix for around £80 and could probably get the cost down to around £60 but a lot of suppliers are out of stock at the moment.

I looked on Amazon and they actively market Chinese copies from Vanttech for about £25 a pair but instead of 1.3A they are 3A. They come with a 5 year warranty so is it worth taking a punt for a much higher capacity and half the price?

It sounds too good to be true and my instinct is to stick to Makita batteries but wonder if anybody has experience of Vanttech.

Regards Keith

I have replaced a couple of power tool batteries from ebay over the years. Larger capasity as in amp hours too. Less than half price on the originals. The genuine makita replacement was just not worth it and would have been as much as a new drill. I guess thats the crux of the matter. New battery or new tool. With a 5 year warranty I dont think you can go wrong as long as the supplier is UK based. Trying to resolve warranty from overseas may be difficult.
Regards
John

A couple of points.....

First, many years ago, (about 25 or so..... I know, I'm an old fogey) I had a couple of first generation Ryobi drill batteries re-jigged by a firm in Kent. They took the old casing, ditched the innards and inserted new guts. Worked fine for a few years then petered out as all batteries did and I replaced the drill..... Sadly, this firm is no longer going. So, why can't we get dedicated batteries re-worked? Apart from vested ecconomics, it sound easy to me and would solve all these issues.

Second, on the issue of new batteries with added amp/hour capacity, ensure that your charger is capable of handling what will be a different electrical demand characteristics - new new batts will not be identical in this respect, This may generate added heat in the charger.

I looked on Amazon and they actively market Chinese copies from Vanttech for about £25 a pair but instead of 1.3A they are 3A. They come with a 5 year warranty so is it worth taking a punt for a much higher capacity and half the price?
They are unlikely to have the capacity or life they claim and the warranty is likely to have no value .

That doesn’t mean that they are a bad deal or that you shouldn’t get one but they are very unlikely to last as long as the originals.

Thanks for all your input. In the end I decided to buy genuine Makita batteries. The original batteries were still working after 5 or 6 years so cost per year is pretty good and the added capacity could have caused problems.

I bought the new batteries from DVS Power Tools in Basingstoke Dvs Power Tools | Dewalt | Makita | Bosch| Stanley... at a cost of £58 with free postage. Ordered about 3pm and delivered the following morning!

Regards Keith

The 10.8v Makita kit you mention is a underrated bit of kit. I bought 2 x drill drivers [they are excellent for bench work], impact driver, angle driver and 85mm circular saw [ gives 2 x 8ft cuts in 18mm birch ply] about 8 years ago. I added some 1.5amp/hr non Makita batteries and everything is still going strong. I was dubious of non original batteries but I was lucky.

Colin

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back