Replace with an LED...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning chaps....

Have got a bathroom mirror/light, no problem it works well and i can see the ugly old git in it.

It has one of them round T9 tubes in it. Worked well from new, and the tube lasted getting on for 9yrs. Then it decided to die last Sept. No worries thinks i, just order a new one. From Amazon, Prime, again no worries. Installed and hey presto... theres that git again :shock: Except this time it only lasted 20 weeks :shock: so contact the seller and explain etc. they send another f.o.c. hmmmm dead on arrival. Let them know and they do a refund, again no worries.

Now then to the point. Can i (directly) replace the T9 tube with an LED type.?
(Sorry if the pics are maybe sideways.?)

As always.... cheers in advance

Nick

Attachments

• image2 (1).jpeg
    image2 (1).jpeg
    11.7 KB · Views: 350
  • image1 (2).jpeg
    image1 (2).jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 351
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 351
  • image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 351
Just bought a new bathroom mirror.
Got Leds all around the edge, soft touch switch in the glass itself.
Dead swish.
It even changes colours! :shock: :shock: :lol: 8)

sunnybob":3ozgzfky said:
Just bought a new bathroom mirror.
Got Leds all around the edge, soft touch switch in the glass itself.
Dead swish.
It even changes colours! :shock: :shock: :lol: 8)

Bought it in Cyprus? Foreign muck. (hammer)

Yup, same foreign much as sold in the UK, and 90% of the rest of the world :lol:
as soon as the mrs saw it could scroll through colours it was a done deal.
Talk about global. I went to a french supermarket chain in Cyprus (leroy merlin), and bought a bathroom vanity unit, which I now have to wait 6 weeks for to be delivered from......... Italy.
The mirror? Also 6 weeks to be delivered from.... china.
The wall tiles? no :shock: in stock, made in spain.
Who's a thunk it?

Is there any manufacturer making LED's in Europe or North America? I don't mean a company having their name put on the product from Asia or assembling the stuff from Asian parts but making them in their entirety?

Pete

Inspector":811i4vdy said:
Is there any manufacturer making LED's in Europe or North America? I don't mean a company having their name put on the product from Asia or assembling the stuff from Asian parts but making them in their entirety?

Pete

The two big european manufacturers are Philips and Osram. I think that most of their LED lamps and the chips in them are very likely made in the far east. There is clearly some continued employment in Europe making fluorescent and compact fluorescent bulbs - hard to believe, I know, given that LEDs can easily exceed 100 lumens/watt now with no toxic waste to speak of.
An interesting article here today https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ight-bulbs

Latest posts

Back