Replace table saw with bandsaw and track saw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
I use a table saw for cutting 8 by 4 sheets long wise and for ripping soft wood seldom thicker 50mm.

I use a track saw for cutting the sheets short wise.

Since I use a track saw anyway, I could get a longer track and do all the sheet work with it. Then replace the table saw with a band saw and gain some floor space.
Has anyone gone down this road and did it pan out or is there something that hasn't occurred to me yet.

If you are cutting 8x4 sheets on your table saw you don't seem to be short of space.
I have a track saw, table saw and a band saw they all have different uses and I would not want to be without any of them.
If you use the track saw for cutting sheet goods that may free up enough floor space to have a band saw and keep the table saw.

I have a track saw, table saw and a band saw they all have different uses and I would not want to be without any of them.

Apart from sheets what does the table saw do that a bandsaw don't.

Please bear in mind, I have never been in the same room as a band saw, never mind used one.

I would not get rid of the table saw until you've even seen what a bandsaw can do and what it can;t do. My little Record 250 does most of the things I ask of it and the footprint is fairly small. Both have their own unique uses that can be used together or entirely separately to achieve the things you want to achieve.

If most of what you do is lots of repeat cuts on sheet goods, a tablesaw is perfect for that job. I'm not sure why if you have one that you are happy cutting full sheets on, why you then swap to a tracksaw for smaller bits? An £80 evolution ST2800 and you can cut down full sheets if the terror of cutting a full sheet on a small saw is what you are trying to avoid (I know I would never cut a full sheet on my cheap Evolution table saw).

Here's a video of someone using a bandsaw to make something that just cannot be done on a table saw.

the advantage of the table saw is that you can set a fence and get simple straight cuts of the same width all day long. With a sled or mitre gauge and a stop you can cross cut to a set width over and over. no need to measure or work to marks.

the bandsaw can cut deeper than the table saw, so cutting 6" or 8" tall slices. It can also cut curves. It doesn't cut the same (virtually) glue ready straight lines as a table saw, you would need to plane them, and straight cuts on a bandsaw are straight ish.

If I were you, I would buy a longer saw track. I would give this a go on the sheet material and see how you like it. Personally I would far rather carry a 6kg saw to a sheet of 18mm timber than a 20+ kg unwealdy sheet of material to the saw. If you find over the next few weeks that you have hardly used the table saw, look at getting rid. If you haven't needed a bandsaw until now, I wouldn't rush out to buy one.

To explore how much the track saw could do on the softwood, it depends exactly what you are doing. There are workarounds for the track saw- I have used mine regularly for hardwood, but there are some tasks that it doesn't excel at.

The cut is straighter, can be much finer and more precise, can also cut trenches, box joints etc... they’re really not the same thing, but I like several others in here ditched a cheap’ish table saw in favour of a rail saw and a bandsaw. I do miss it sometimes, but mostly not

Years ago when I got rid of my Wadkin table saw I was left with a bandsaw, track saw & chop saw & managed perfectly well without it.
Sure it's a compromise & there are things that can be done quicker on a table saw but I can't think of anything I couldn't do with the three saws I was left with, make an MFT top for your track saw & it really opens up possibilities.

I have just had to rip about 180 metres of oak edge banding in thicknesses of 5 mm and 8 mm. Table saw does it 10 times quicker than my band saw and with much more reliably consistent results. TS also good for taking out rebates. Useful. Not essential.

I'm not sure why if you have one that you are happy cutting full sheets on, why you then swap to a tracksaw for smaller bits?

The max cut on my table saw is <> 2' which means I can happily and safely rip a 4' wide sheet to any size I please.
Taking up to 2' off a 8' wide sheet is a totally different ball game, hence the track saw.

Here's a video of someone using a bandsaw to make something that just cannot be done on a table saw.
Very nice and interesting vid, but not something I am busting to try. But if I had a band saw, I might give it a go.

I have just had to rip about 180 metres of oak edge banding in thicknesses of 5 mm and 8 mm. Table saw does it 10 times quicker than my band saw and with much more reliably consistent results. TS also good for taking out rebates. Useful. Not essential.

Years ago when I got rid of my Wadkin table saw I was left with a bandsaw, track saw & chop saw & managed perfectly well without it.
Sure it's a compromise & there are things that can be done quicker on a table saw but I can't think of anything I couldn't do with the three saws I was left with, make an MFT top for your track saw & it really opens up possibilities.
Yip, that's what I'd be left with, just checking here to see if someone regretted doing the same and if it would matter to me.

Very nice and interesting vid, but not something I am busting to try. But if I had a band saw, I might give it a go.

Forgive me, I only meant to highlight some of the things a table saw just can't do.

In your shoes I think of a project that could use bandsaw, buy one and then assess whether you keep the table saw afterwards. That may not be possible of course. It all depends on what you make really.

I have a mitre saw, table saw, band saw and track saw . . . . purchased in that order . . . I'm pondering getting rid of the table saw as the track saw is far more use for me (setting up some jigs and using an MFT/dogs in Peter Millard style) - I can usually get the timber merchant to cut 8 x 4s if necessary

I would not get rid of the table saw until you've even seen what a bandsaw can do and what it can;t do. My little Record 250 does most of the things I ask of it and the footprint is fairly small. Both have their own unique uses that can be used together or entirely separately to achieve the things you want to achieve.

If most of what you do is lots of repeat cuts on sheet goods, a tablesaw is perfect for that job. I'm not sure why if you have one that you are happy cutting full sheets on, why you then swap to a tracksaw for smaller bits? An £80 evolution ST2800 and you can cut down full sheets if the terror of cutting a full sheet on a small saw is what you are trying to avoid (I know I would never cut a full sheet on my cheap Evolution table saw).

A excellent video and great job on the boxes. I have not made a roll top box myself, but you certainly have it well planned out and make it easier for others to follow. Well done.
Malcolm
Badger Woodcrafters

A excellent video and great job on the boxes. I have not made a roll top box myself, but you certainly have it well planned out and make it easier for others to follow. Well done.
Malcolm
Badger Woodcrafters
Oh I wish I was that good. Its not me in the video!

If you can swing an 8ft sheet around and through your table saw then you must have a decent sized workshop and table saw? I used to have a big table saw but would never have felt safe doing that, - must be something of a wuss?!

Like most people who ask the question the answer is 'it depends', - on what you do and how you do it. Having just moved I now have no table saw and have to find other ways of doing things. Mostly tracksaw as the bandsaw (which I wouldn't be without) is stuck in the corner under wraps. I'm pretty sure I'll be moving towards an mft type setup as it's suits my humble DIY needs.

If you're cutting a lot of 8x4 sheets then you might be better off as you are although of course it's always worth thinking of different ways of doing stuff (e.g. can you get cut sheets delivered?)

I have a mitre saw, table saw, band saw and track saw . . . . purchased in that order . . . I'm pondering getting rid of the table saw as the track saw is far more use for me (setting up some jigs and using an MFT/dogs in Peter Millard style) - I can usually get the timber merchant to cut 8 x 4s if necessary
This seems (for my use) a logical reduction. Only rarely do I need the table saw cuts that I can't do on a bandsaw (perhaps with a minor inconvenience).
By far the majority of my cuts in non-sheet material are x-cuts.

Keep your table saw if you have one. And your bandsaw. A track saw takes little space and can be used on saw horses at a pinch. It's when you buy an MFT Table that the track saw takes up space. You can open up new dimensions with the MFT Table, but you have yet another load of skills to learn to have the MFT replace your table saw. As well as taking up acres of floor space to use effectively.

John

I use a table saw for cutting 8 by 4 sheets long wise and for ripping soft wood seldom thicker 50mm.

Since I use a track saw anyway, I could get a longer track and do all the sheet work with it. Then replace the table saw with a band saw and gain some floor space.
Has anyone gone down this road and did it pan out or is there something that hasn't occurred to me yet.
I have gone this route. I do mis the table saw for rebates and cutting tenons for doors.

It’s virtually impossible to give a direct relevant answer. Because most people will have a different mix of jobs to yours.

I cut virtually all my sheet material using a track saw, just today I needed some 6mm spacers, that was easy and fast to produce glue ready strips in a couple of minutes on the table saw. The bandsaw could not produce glue read surfaces and the track saw could do the job but only if the material was much larger than the stock I used.

my advise is get some longer tracks that you can join to your current ones for the 2 metre + cuts (assuming you don’t process many full sheets). Get a reasonable quality bandsaw (unless you spend a lot you won’t get a TCT blade) then use the track saw and band saw for at least a year, after that if you haven’t needed to use the table saw then sell it.

Back