Replace motor ? Suggestions.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanygaer

Reaction score
The brushes have started to smell (burn) and I’m going to replace the motor. It’s a SIP 36” swivel head lathe, I know these are generic lathes with various names .
SIP £159 anyone know how to replace as cheaply as possible (not working presently)
Things are going well so far and I’m sure when cash begins to flow again I’ll get an upgrade.
And keep it as a back up.
Thanks in advance John.

If it is an induction motor, which it sounds like, and not a universal motor, then it could be just the capacitor.
Might be worth checking for bulges or other damage.
Match the figures like voltage, microfarad and the dimensions to fit where its supposed to go, haven't had to do this yet thankfully.
These can be bought for the price of a pint...(without a substantial meal)

I wouldn't get the same motor if your machine is the same as mine, if it is definitely
toast, beware of the Reeves drive clutch plate pulley mechanism if you are working on the machine, treat them like they were made of plaster.

There are many threads here, and also videos on youtube on this machine, draper WTL 90, SIP, Axi preform, hilka, possibly clarke and others I which don't come to me.
Many videos on harbor freight versions also...
The only difference would be at the drive end can have a beefier thread for mounting chuck, and 60hz motor on USA machines compared to our European motors/ system which runs at 50hz
(just incase you spot a cheaper motor)

Hope for your sake its just a cap.
Good luck
Tom

It most likely is an AC induction motor, and they do not have brushes. A capacitor is used to self start the motor and they can smell bad if worn out, its usually worth the risk of £5 or so on a new capacitor compared to the cost and hassle of replacing the whole motor.

If the motor appears to be damaged, remove it first and measure the dimensions of the output shaft, so you can get a new motor that should be a straight swap. Two motors with the same power rating are not guaranteed to have the same output shaft dimensions.

Try contacting sip.

Otherwise it looks very simalar to the Clarke cwl 1000cf so could try machine Mart.

Cheers James

Latest posts

Back