Repairing my Record Power BS300 bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning Tim,

From my experience with the BS300 and speaking with Ian at Tuffsaws the biggest blade I ever used was 5/8, I think you'll be struggling to tension a 3/4 blade adequately. I found that a smaller blade well tensioned would always cut much better than an under-tensioned larger blade.

I did use high pressure (graphite?) grease on the threads which is designed for these sorts of jobs, if you would like to try some send me a PM and I'll send you a blob (not quite sure how to package a blob of grease but I'm sure I'll work something out, should slip through the post no problems!).

I have had an issue with a blade being slightly long which is why you can't use the the tension gauge as it only really works when the blades are all exactly the same length which of course they're not. Also narrow cheap blades can stretch if run under too much tension. I'd measure it and then contact the supplier if over length.

Richard

Morning Tim,

From my experience with the BS300 and speaking with Ian at Tuffsaws the biggest blade I ever used was 5/8, I think you'll be struggling to tension a 3/4 blade adequately. I found that a smaller blade well tensioned would always cut much better than an under-tensioned larger blade.

I did use high pressure (graphite?) grease on the threads which is designed for these sorts of jobs, if you would like to try some send me a PM and I'll send you a blob (not quite sure how to package a blob of grease but I'm sure I'll work something out, should slip through the post no problems!).

I have had an issue with a blade being slightly long which is why you can't use the the tension gauge as it only really works when the blades are all exactly the same length which of course they're not. Also narrow cheap blades can stretch if run under too much tension. I'd measure it and then contact the supplier if over length.

Richard
Hi Richard.

Mines the BS350, don't know if that makes a big difference but the 3/4 blade was doing a great job of cutting true through 3 x 4" hardwood do I think it can do the tension okay with the thumb at the upper door hinge pull test method.

The 1/4 is brand new so definitely hasn't stretched. If the blade will sit around the larger one, even though its tight how much longer will it be? My head hurts from trying to figure it out. Feel like a bit of an silly person but I'm new to this. I got the larger blade set up really well from a quite neglected machine so I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.

If you let me know the grease you use I'll aquire some through work, its kind of you to offer, might end up lubricating Royal mails machinery if it went wrong.

Cheers

Tim

It's sold as Rocol ASP (anti scuffing paste). It's a dry film type so doesn't pick up dust with a very high molybdenum content rated for pressure up to 100,000psi.

Back