Repairing a rendered wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sihollies

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
I would just like to glean your knowledge, if I may?

I have just undertaken a mammoth task of removing 20 years worth of bamboo growth which was under decking in a non maintained garden.
I cant desrcibe it as any less than a nigthmare & may I suggest that you always grow bamboo in pots!!

Currently, on the wall, there is about two foot of brickwork at the base and above is rough rendered surface. The bamboo rhizomes have worked their way behind the render and it needs patching up.
the metal 90 degree angle strip at the bottom of the render that contains the mortar has perished, and needs replacing prior to me patching up the render, but for the life of me I cant recall what the strip is called. I thought it was an 'apron' or 'skirt', but on doing a google search, came among all sorts of stuff but not anything that I am looking for.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Simon

Angle bead in these parts if it on an external corner// stop bead if it’s horizontal at the bottom of the rendering or if the rendering stops before a corner it’s fitted vertically ( wickes staff are not always knowledgeable)

Hi all,

I have just undertaken a mammoth task of removing 20 years worth of bamboo growth which was under decking in a non maintained garden.
I cant desrcibe it as any less than a nigthmare & may I suggest that you always grow bamboo in pots!!

Currently, on the wall, there is about two foot of brickwork at the base and above is rough rendered surface. The bamboo rhizomes have worked their way behind the render and it needs patching up.
the metal 90 degree angle strip at the bottom of the render that contains the mortar has perished, and needs replacing prior to me patching up the render, but for the life of me I cant recall what the strip is called. I thought it was an 'apron' or 'skirt', but on doing a google search, came among all sorts of stuff but not anything that I am looking for.

Simon
Hi all,

Simon
I would extend your suggestion - NEVER grow bamboo on your property.
If you don't like your neighbour - grow it next door !
It is just so invasive and a total PEST

Be prepared for it to come back. 7 years later I’m still on it. What seems to work is if it comes back wait till it forms a reasonable stem, cut the stem and inject systemic weed killer into the hollow stem. It seems to work but I’ve only just discovered this a year or so ago. Hideous stuff 😤

Wickes stainless bell cast bead is excellent. For patching don’t bother with sand and cement, use the Weber OCR that is around £11 a bag - goes on and rubs up well and sets quickly.

When we moved in we had a small clump of bamboo which looked like it was dead. I dug it up, split it and planted it in two places.

It was probably the most regrettable gardening experiment that we ever tried. Twenty three years later, it had been a constant fight to keep it under control.

In our new place there is no bamboo, or we haven't discovered any. We wont be adding the plant, ever.

Thanks for all your input and advice.

I will definately be making a trip to Wickes and will buy your recommended products.

For info: The area I was clearing measured 10m x 9m, so it is is quite large, and it was EVERYWHERE!

When I finally fought the weed back to the 'epicentre', I invested in a cheapish, potentially disposable rep saw along with a quantity of 300mm course wood blades and proceeded to cut squares of approximately 450mm square, soil and all & prised them out with 3x2 and other garden tools .
The clumps that came up were a solid compressed square of the roots/rhizomes.

Absolulutely gruelling task!

Ironically, we decided to try and save a few of the rhizomes and plant them in large pots, well away from any soil/fertile surface and each one that we tried to grow in the pots died within weeks. :)

Anyway, that's my story, so please take heed to all that may be intending to plant this devil of a plant on their property!

Thanks gain for your input
Simon

Japanese Knotweed is worse ! When we moved in here 34 years ago i hired a digger and dug out a pond, spreading
the soil around the garden only to find the stuff was growing in that area, didn't know anything about it then. I do now,
its been a long battle, still spraying the odd stem when they pop up!

Thanks for all your input and advice.

I will definately be making a trip to Wickes and will buy your recommended products.

For info: The area I was clearing measured 10m x 9m, so it is is quite large, and it was EVERYWHERE!

When I finally fought the weed back to the 'epicentre', I invested in a cheapish, potentially disposable rep saw along with a quantity of 300mm course wood blades and proceeded to cut squares of approximately 450mm square, soil and all & prised them out with 3x2 and other garden tools .
The clumps that came up were a solid compressed square of the roots/rhizomes.

Absolulutely gruelling task!

Ironically, we decided to try and save a few of the rhizomes and plant them in large pots, well away from any soil/fertile surface and each one that we tried to grow in the pots died within weeks. :)

Anyway, that's my story, so please take heed to all that may be intending to plant this devil of a plant on their property!

Thanks gain for your input
Simon
I have a lot of bamboo that was planted by previous owners. Over lockdown I got my exercise by digging out the spreading rhizomes. Some had travelled over 10m underneath gravel and root barrier and then punched it's way up. It had also punched it's way through builders plastic sheet that had been used to line the raised beds that it was planted in. I've now trenched 70cm deep around all the remaining bamboo and inserted tree root barrier, which is essentially 1.5mm reinforced plastic sheet. I'm not expecting this to be 100% but enough for me to keep an eye on. Planting it in pots is not a guarantee either, I have seen it make it's way through a crack in a buried pot. If there a rhizome in any root sections left in the ground then they can grow, I've seen shoots from pieces about 5cm long. The energy the shoot has to grow is in the rhizome; if you chop the shoot down that grows from the one rhizome it is unlikely to grow again, but as a root may have multiple rhizomes this maybe need to be repeated over a couple of years. A landscape gardener friend of mine says that best way to remove it completely is with a JCB and a blowtorch; personally I say 'nuke it from space, it's the only way to be sure'.

If you had a hard matted section it's likely you had a clumping bamboo type. These grow slowly, but the growth is strong enough to crack concrete. The running type bamboos spread much quicker but have less strength. Unfortunately clumping bamboos can send off runners on occasion. Guess how I know.

Just pray you never have Mares Tail.:(
Just looked that up. Yep, seems worse than bamboo, if perhaps less destructive.
"The creeping rhizomes of this pernicious plant may go down as deep as 2m (7ft) below the surface, making them hard to remove by digging out, especially if they invade a border. They often enter gardens by spreading underground from neighbouring properties or land." RHS.

Back