Repair Bosch GTS 10 Table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcluma

Established Member
Reaction score
Had last week some major issues with my Bosch GTS10 saw. The machine came to a controlled stop, and the blad had come stuck. I straight away knew what had happend. I just hopped that i could solve it quickly. But no. I had to take the whole machine apart to get to the culprint. A ball bearing had seased up.
I still had the detailed PDF drawing with the machine parts from when i bought the saw. This all happend last Friday (I was working from home :) , but most of the morning got lost in taking the saw apart :evil: ) so I made a call to the central service centre and they would send the parts out (cost me in total Gbp 35,- for two new ball bearings and a dust cap :( .
The parts arrived yesterday and it took me about 2 hours to put it all back together again. I did had to buy a ballbearing puller. (i did buy this on the Friday as well)
The machine runs very smooth, and i just couldn’t believe how much I missed that machine in the past week

He are some pics of the work
Here is the saw, out of its case upside down, blade and riving knife removed

IMG_0295 by mcluma, on Flickr

Had to take the switch of, so i wrote down how the machine was wired

IMG_0296 by mcluma, on Flickr

Here i have removed the blade locking mechanism

IMG_0297 by mcluma, on Flickr
Riving knife and gear removed

IMG_0298 by mcluma, on Flickr
Motor removed

IMG_0299 by mcluma, on Flickr
The collector with the two ball bearings (top and bottom) the bottom one completely seized up

IMG_0312 by mcluma, on Flickr

Another shot – completely had to take the machine apart, you can see in the bottom of the picture the ball bearing puller

IMG_0313 by mcluma, on Flickr
Here a picture of the new parts

IMG_0314v2 by mcluma, on Flickr
Collector back in the motor housing

IMG_0315 by mcluma, on Flickr

Motor fitted back on the saw

IMG_0316 by mcluma, on Flickr

With ball races and no puller Chris brake the outer race and grind a flat on the inner race till it comes free.

Roy.

Mcluma":sndc4szj said:
I like the saw a lot, I also have a EB PKF255, but this one is just so easy to use
I liked the Bosch as well when I reviewed it about 12 months ago...apart from the noise of the brush motor which is the noisiest thing that's ever been in my 'shop - Rob

Thanks for this. I'm a beginner and new to the forum. Do you know if I can fit a dado cutter set to the Bosch GTS10 professional saw? USA sites sell an insert plate with a wider hole to accomadate the wider blade assembly. Is the spindle long enough? I read somewhere that dado cutter aren't allowed in UK due to health and safety but this isn't the case in USA so Bosch USA sells the accesories. Any advice gratefully received. THanks

You won't be able to as standard. Whether the arbour is replaceable with one from the USA is another question. The problem you will find is that the customer service in the US won't know the British machines so won't know.

As a beginner, there are alternative ways to go the tasks of a dado which are probably better for a beginner. If you use a router for instance, you then have a router for other tasks. The dado set does a couple of jobs- rebating and grooving, maybe tenoning. With the dado you also need to factor in set up time, the cost and time involved I. Guarding it effectively and the time switching back to the standard blade. For the odd cut, i don't switch to a cross cut blade on the saw- I tend to have a general purpose in it. A dado set for less than a production run for me would be a nuisance.

I wouldn't spend hours looking for the parts. In my opinion there are better methods, particularly for a beginner.

Thanks for this Marcros. The task I'm trying to learn to do is box joints. I've watched a few youtube videos (mainly american) where they use dado sets to achieve this.

Router and jig would be my choice. If you were desperate to spend money you could use something like a Leigh jig but there are endless shop made versions online.

Digit":1q35zf17 said:
With ball races and no puller Chris brake the outer race and grind a flat on the inner race till it comes free.

Roy.

Not a wise idea, one slip and you've pineappled the armature shaft. A much better option is concentrated heat on the ball race. Heat it up and knock it off.

The blades sticks when winding to raise and lower. Cleaned it which helped the first few times. Now it will go up, bit not down! What is the problem. It has infrequent use.

Back