Repainting old previously cellulose sprayed MDF kitch cpbds.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alison

Reaction score
I have 20 year old MDF kitchen cupboards that were professionally cellulose sprayed when made. The MDF has dented on the edges over the years, and they’re a bit shabby. What procedures do I need, to repaint by hand, in order to do a good job? I don’t wish to repaint the cupboard inner walls, though I’ll do the cpbd floors. I’ll remove doors, and also paint the exterior trims. Is there any particular brand of paint that anyone would recommend, having seen how it wears?

clean the surface with something like sugar soap and then give it all a sanding with 12grit.
Then use car body filler to fix any dents/dings and sand going up the grits to 320
then prime with a compatible primer to your paint
give it a another sand with 320 and second coat if needed and sand again and clean with a tack rag
then apply as many coats as needed sanding in between each coat as needed.

I agree with Droogs comments. Getting a good initial key for the primer coat requires a good clean surface with no oil / fat stains, so the initial degreasing with the sugar soap is essential along with the initial sanding to get a good key to the cupboard surface. I have always found that the Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Primer or Leyland Trade Acrylic Primer Undercoat (both from Screwfix) to have good adhesion to most surfaces. As for the top coat, a lot of youtube furniture makers use Holman Tikkurila paint as it is hard wearing - it might have to be ordered from the manufacturer online.

Nothing to add to those answers except to say that Peter Millard (a member on this forum I think?) has one or two excellent YouTube videos on painting cabinet doors. Even though he’s talking about “new” doors, it’s well worth a watch for his tips on brushes and rollers.

Agree with above and would add that tool station sell Bedec Multi Surface Paint- also very good adhesion and primes and finishes in one product. Limited colours, mind

I'd use Tikkurila Otex adhesion primer and Helmi top coat. Easy to apply, fantastic finish with a microfibre roller and tipping-off brush, really tough and durable. Plenty of guides/advice threads on the decorator forums. It's stunningly good paint.

clean the surface with something like sugar soap and then give it all a sanding with 12grit.
Then use car body filler to fix any dents/dings and sand going up the grits to 320
then prime with a compatible primer to your paint
give it a another sand with 320 and second coat if needed and sand again and clean with a tack rag
then apply as many coats as needed sanding in between each coat as needed.

12 grit is a bit coarse, maybe 120 grit? 😂

Back