Renovation to an old oak stair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt I would never call you an silly person, you have always been helpful and its appreciated, we all have off days. :lol:

I have a router that plunges 65mm so that would not be a problem, but then I am now thinking of the drill and dowel solution making up a jig as you say, maybe even two 5mm dowels side by side.

Mike

Well this has arrived: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADJUSTABLE-AN ... 0838842199 pleasantly surprised what a substantial bit of kit it is, suitably heavy and robust, taking it down to our place next week, don't know if I will get a chance to try it, but will report back if I do, I only have about 200 other things to do, or should I say been told I need to do. (hammer)

Mike

Five years on and its still a work in progress, other priorities, I did stabilise the hand rail by attaching a couple of spindles to the opposite string and that has served well in the meantime, did have a pic somewhere will dig it out and post if I can find it.

Thanks,I’ve just finished a double winding stairs which has a handrail similar to your one,it was a challenge to construct but it all worked out well in the end.
used oak laminates around a plywood core also made using 3mms plywood laminates To make the handrail.

Five years on and its still a work in progress, other priorities, I did stabilise the hand rail by attaching a couple of spindles to the opposite string and that has served well in the meantime, did have a pic somewhere will dig it out and post if I can find it.

That's a beautiful stairway. Do you have any more photos of it you could send me, as I need to build a new stairs for my place ?

Adam,I’m complying a series of photos to write an article on the construction of the double winding stairs they might come in handy as when I started the project there wasn’t a lot of information I could find,I’ll be posting them soon.

I assume you guys have seen this: How to make a curved wooden handrail | Wreathed Handrail Service I can also recommend the software, for planning: StairDesigner Download | StairDesigner Free Download | Wood Designer once you have the plan view drawn up you can call on a 3D picture that can be rotated on the screen also divided into individual parts.
Screenshot 2021-05-20 at 07.31.06.png

Last edited:
I will have a dig around to see what I have already, but the likelihood of getting down there again this year looks a bit remote at the moment with the way the French are not handling there vaccine roll out.

@Adam W. have you had a go with the software? its very easy once you have the floor plan, the 3D image is automatically rendered by using the software.
Screenshot 2021-05-21 at 16.32.46.png

No, not yet. I'm very much in the inspiration stage and took a shine to the plaster soffit of your stairway.

I was interested in how it lands on the floor above.

From the GF to the First it just reaches a finite point and stops, have a look at the pic on page one, on the second flight it just buts up against the last riser, on the third flight the same, did not say its expanded metal staple gunned, and a few clout nails to the timber strings and underside of the treads, covered in Gypsum bonding and smoothed with Gypsum Multifinsh.

Last edited:
Back