Render repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes hall clips to fasten it, I meant to seal it sorry. I don't think mortar is acceptable anymore but I may be wrong? I thought mortar could only be used on really wide joints and even then the top and bottom of the mortar where it meets the lead and the brick/stone had to be sealed with leadmate
I think that mortar was perfectly acceptable for all those decades/centuries before some clever person invented low modulus silicone. I think that the choice depends a bit on the quality of the existing building - if it's of no particular historic/architectural interest and/or no-one's going to see it, maybe silicone is preferable, otherwise - correctly matched - mortar is still fine. I think that all building regs requires in this kind of situation is a "workmanlike" job ie a 'weatherproof' detail. Both kinds of detail, if done properly, I would consider weatherproof and workmanlike.

At the end of the day, the other 'defensive' details e.g. adequate upstand heights and other dimensions, cover flashings, overhangs/drips are much more important to get right really.

Cheers, W2S

Back