Renaissance Music Stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkpoore1

Established Member
Reaction score
kirkpoore1":2dmd7zj0 said:
Last summer I was talking to a boot maker friend of mine and told him I needed to get a new pair of medieval boots (we're both in a medieval recreation group). Although he makes and sells shoes, he also likes to trade, and since he plays music too, he asked for a music stand.

Another friend of mine had made a plan for music stand based on this early 17th century lecturn:
lecturn2.jpg

His stand had a break-down post with removable feet. Another friend had adapted the design to have an opening face, substituted a wood baluster from a lumber yard for a turned post, and added an integral hand grip. He gave me his plans, and I created this third derivative of the original.

End triangles. The trefoil holes were drilled out with a forstner bit and then beveled with a router:
triangles.jpg

Cutting out the hand grip using the scroll saw:
scrolling.jpg

I didn't take any other pictures while working, so I got a good batch after assembly. Since I have a lathe, I added the turned leg back in, as well as adding carved sections near the top of each face.

Disassembled stand with all leg parts inside:
front.jpg

Back side:
back.jpg

Inside:
inside_parts.jpg

Leg & feet assembled:
post.jpg

Stand assembled:
assembled.jpg

It's actually pretty stable, though you wouldn't want to try to use it for writing. Of course, two musicians can use it facing each other. Finish is a coat of boiled linseed oil and two coats (so far) of Tried and True Varnish Oil. I still need to add a few more coats. I also need to add a hook and loop latch for the opening face. The post is assembled from threaded inserts and knobs.

Oh, I forgot. The wood is red oak. The leg was glued up to form a thick piece for turning. All hardware was bought from Lee Valley.

Kirk

Back