Removing Varnish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer n nails

Established Member
Reaction score
about 4 days ago i varnished some wood with marine varnish but it the finish was poor and has not dried fully so have decided to remove the varnish and start again think i put it on too thick so what would be the best way of removing it as its still a bit tacky in places and some parts are dry can anyone give me some advice of the best way of removing it.

Hot air stripper and scraper works for me on yacht varnish. Lots of stuff on the net re applying yacht varnish.

Once the wood is prepared I apply a danish oil/white spirit mix to seal the surface - brush on/wipe off after its soaked in. The thinned danish oil soaks in well into the wood and provides a good base for the varnish. 24 hours later, de nib with a fine scotchbrite type sanding pad. Apply the coats of varnish. I'd wait for warmer weather, the varnish flows more evenly and spreads thinly. After 3 or 4 coats let it harden off a bit and then 'sand' with fine wet and dry using plenty of water to lubricate. Dry off and apply finishing coats.

I've had great results from Screwfix 'No nonsense' Yacht Varnish. Cheap as chips compared to some of the 'boaty' brands.

hi yes tried the Danish oil/thinners and applied it this morning have got a good finish will do some more coats then will try a satin finish i think it will look better and be easier than gloss finish did a test piece this morning on some scrap wood and has taken well will see tomorrow when its fully dry thanks again for your advice

The cabinet scraper is a good weapon to use on varnish. It is very controllable, deos not clog in the way that sandpaper does and it is obvious when you are just through the varnish (white shavings) and into timber.

Back