Removing small nails

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkus88

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I bought several 3x3 ash posts that have quite a few small nails in. I got some out but a few snapped off. I want to make sure there are none left before they go near my p/t. 1st whats the best way to find any hidden ones? 2nd how to them out with damaging the wood too much?
Thanks
Mark

Could use a neodymium magnet to find the nails (might be a bit tedious though). They're pretty useful for lots of things (e.g I use one to hold the spanner I need to adjust my table saw fence attached to the side of my table saw and I keep one in an old sock for finding small screws and drills that I drop into the shavings on the floor of my shop).

Just search on ebay for neodymium magnets e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neodymium...ultDomain_3&hash=item3371fb3fe2#ht_968wt_1185

(this is not a recommendation of this particular vendor, just an example)

Mike

sparkus88":18ptxfsb said:
Hi I bought several 3x3 ash posts that have quite a few small nails in. I got some out but a few snapped off. I want to make sure there are none left before they go near my p/t. 1st whats the best way to find any hidden ones? 2nd how to them out with damaging the wood too much?
Thanks
Mark
Would one of those gadgets for finding hidden pipes/wires in walls work ?

does anybody have one of these, and does it perform as expected?

thats detecting sorted. Any suggestions on how to get them out without gouge a lump of would out.

I have the Wizard, and yes they work. How to get the nails out? Don't bother, punch them well below the surface, you'll end up with much smaller holes than from trying to remove them.

Roy.

Some ideas on removal that have worked for me from time to time - but much depends on how fine a job you need, and the state of the nails. If they are really well rusted you get the worst combination of the rust sticking firmly to the wood but the nails being too weak to pull out.

- Use a pair of wire cutters (side cutters) rather than a pair of pincers - the finer point can get in close and get hold of a little fragment of nail. Protect the wood surface with a thin piece of steel as you lever up. Don't snip the nail!

- Use a chisel to split off a fairly chunky sliver of wood from around the nail, exposing enough to get hold of. Then you can glue the chunk back on with a dab of superglue. A big piece won't distort or get lost so easily. A bit like 'secret nailing' in reverse.

(Secret nailing is when you chisel up a sliver, nail underneath it, then glue it down again, like this:

nailundersliver.jpg
)

- Use a hollow drill (such as an old fashioned shell/gouge bit - see this thread) to drill a neat hole around the nail, which you can then plug with a scrap of matching wood whittled to a point.

Lidl have a multi-purpose metal/stud detector/laser level/electronic measure in their special bargains this week. No idea if it's any good, but could be worth a try for the detection part.

Latest posts

Back