Removing old wasps nest?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I am currently renovating a rental property. I tried to access the loft yesterday and the loft hatch seemed to be catching on something so I gave it a bit more of a push. It lifted up a few inches to reveal a wasps nest above it, it also broke a bit off the edge of the nest.

I remember getting pest control out last year as the neighbour said there were some wasps going under the fascia board but thought nothing more of it.

The nest looked about the size of a large football if not bigger, I presume it will be empty now as I haven't seen any wasps around?

Do I just push open the loft hatch, wrap a bin bag around whatever is left of the nest and remove it or might there be some surprises inside?

Would rather not pay someone £40 to remove it if I can do it myself.

Thanks, Doug

You would probably have seen/heard some wasps if they were in residence. A nest is an annual residence, then abandoned. Therefore, it might be from a previous year. On that basis, I would proceeded with caution. Crack open the loft hatch, and listen. If no buzzing, bother the nest a bit...if still no buzzing, bother the nest a lot. At this point, you either have a loft full of irate wasps, or a dead nest.

Bear in mind I have been stung four times in the last couple of weeks - my method of finding nests being to get stung unexpectedly, then look for the nest, and finally deal with it. You may prefer something less hands on.

if the nest is occupied, it won't be like the cartoons where you are stung by a mob that is so thick light can't pass through. You'll see evidence of it (via aggressive wasps) earlier on and know to stop.

Bagging the nest is a good idea. If it's not affixed that hard and it's doable even if occupied, it's still not a bad idea. If there are live wasps, bag the nest and then put some dish detergent with degreaser in the bag and fill with water. That's the method here for killing a hive that's become aggressive.

Doug after poking his head into the loft space:

29813814-8439669-image-a-19_1592564237336.jpg

It's either got wasps going in and out of it (and is in use) or it hasn't. Sitting studying it for three minutes should give you clarity (although they do stay in during the small hours of the nights). They're only made of paper so are easy to remove.

If it's occupied, a judicious squirt of this:
https://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.u ... 27915.html
the day before doing the above would be an unfortunate but probably necessary thing.

So today I plucked up the courage to get rid of the nest, I couldn't hear any buzzing so was sure it was empty. I was tempted to set up my phone to film it in case of any comedy moments but there were no wasps around so it all went smoothly.

Here is a photo of the bad boy blocking the loft hatch, it looked almost alien like.

wasps nest 1.jpg

After I got rid of it and managed to access the loft I found another old one right next to it #-o.

wasps nest 2.jpg

Thanks for all the help and advice guys, much appreciated.

Doug

Attachments

• wasps nest 1.jpg
    wasps nest 1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 144
  • wasps nest 2.jpg
    wasps nest 2.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 167
Back