Removing glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I have a problem with a glue dispenser bottle (it is the Gorilla adhesive bottle type)
the glue has become hard in the tip of the bottle and so no glue comes out, i have to unscrew cap and pour onto the wood.

is there any thing that i can use to remove the set glue in the top .....and more importantly stop it happening again :D

thanks

Dave

Webby":2pvffj91 said:
I have a problem with a glue dispenser bottle (it is the Gorilla adhesive bottle type)
the glue has become hard in the tip of the bottle and so no glue comes out, i have to unscrew cap and pour onto the wood.

I'm not familiar with the Gorilla Glue brand in particular, but in terms of general glue-bottle-unclogging tips:

- Try pushing it out from the (removed) top, starting from the smaller end, with a pin (blunted if you can) or a bit of small rod. If the glue hasn't bonded with the plastic of the top, it could well be easy to just push it out. If there's any overspill over the outside of the top clean this off with a fingernail or a knife first.
- If you have trouble, try warming the top up in hot water before you start. A lot of glues and a lot of plastics become softer when you heat them, making it easier to detach the glue chunk.
- If the top is made from flexible plastic, try flexing it, or squishing it in pliers a bit - the plastic and the glue will not be exactly as flexible as each other, so this again may help separate the two materials from each other.
- Don't push or squeeze or bend or heat anything too much - having a clogged-up top that you can't squeeze glue through but which protects the glue in the bottle is still better than having a broken top which allows the entire bottle to set/dry/cure/whatever! Squishing the plastic can also make it stretch, which can be good for clearing out a clogged-up bit of glue, but bad if you do it anywhere near a thread, which will then no longer engage properly.

I don't use Gorilla, but with the polyurethane adhesives it is normally very easy. Go at it with a throwaway stick or something from the underneath. It normally forms a thin film on the underside of the whole cap, scrape from the edge and get that lifted off the cap, then pull it and the set plug in the nozzle almost invariably comes with it in my experience.

When finished with bottle, squeeze the bottle to expel the air and any surplus glue in spout keeping squeezed replace cap. If using Pva give the bottle a quick squeeze to clear cap, I use this method when using bottle to assembly jobs.

Webby":2l484av0 said:
http://www.mptools.co.uk/images//Tbnk2/GRGGWG236.jpg

its this type of stopper at end

I see your problem. It's a long time since I have used it and I don't recall it having anything other than the usual sort of cap-with-nozzle affair. What is that all supposed to achieve then?

update ....really hot water did the trick thanks all ...even to loosen the cap so i could get it off ... :D

and then attack the inside of the spout/cap with more hot water :D

i must say i feel a bit embarrassed :oops: not thinking of hot water to remove the solid glue :roll:

Dave

Stick a brass c/sunk screw of the right size in the spout after use.
That comes out easy enough but keeps the air out of the bottle.

Works for me. HTH :D

i dont think you can on that type of bottle- if it is the same as mine, the glue comes out of a gap around a centre piece, rather than through a hole in the actual centre.

marcros":26b2ul67 said:
i dont think you can on that type of bottle- if it is the same as mine, the glue comes out of a gap around a centre piece, rather than through a hole in the actual centre.

Oh! OKIES! I didden know that Marcros. Thanks.. :mrgreen:

Guess the OP could use Evo-stick Resin W then! :lol: :lol: :lol:

marcros":3m37fqzs said:
it is exactly like that :D

but hot water did shift it ......probably will have to do again in the future ....but its no hard ship :D

I buy the large size bottles of glue, and transfer the stuff to the small Fairy-liquid bottles. (Suitably marked of course) They have a plain top with a flip closing lid. If it breaks, I get Mrs BW to save me another bottle-top, to replace. :wink:

If it's one the ones where you unscrew the top a bit to open it, they have the plastic bit that goes into the middle of the hole when you close it, the way I do it is to remove the top from the bottle unscrew the very top until it won't go any further. Then with the help of a pair of pliers unscrew it further pulling it upwards slightly and it comes completely off. Then you can get at all of it and make sure it's totally clean, normally with hot water..

Reassembly is just pushing and screwing the top back on using the pliers again. Job done..

Latest posts

Back