Removing Ercol 'Golden Dawn' finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the screws are pretty soft, I found an old brace the best way of getting purchase on them.

Good luck with the stripping

Thanks. Pretty pleased with the leafs, although I might go over them again lightly to remove some sand paper marks I’ve seen after neutralising them
D2CFA809-4D2A-4C22-9A9E-FD356F93A6F6.jpeg

That looks beautiful. Very encouraging. I got some good paint stripper for mine. When I have time, I will start work on it.

That looks beautiful. Very encouraging. I got some good paint stripper for mine. When I have time, I will start work on it.
Yes I picked up some industrial stripper. Recommend wearing full respirator and goggles as it’s pretty nasty stuff.

Well, here's the finished table. I'm pretty happy overall considering it was my first attempt at stripping and re-finishing. Thanks for all the advice!

Used an Osmo natural raw oil and finished with the Gilboy's Beeswax which has given it a lovely sheen. Also replaced the piano hinges, although I'm not happy with the screw heads, so if anyone knows where I can get a 4x16mm screw with a small countertop head, that would be great - currently the heads are sticking out the countersink on the hinges which is a pain.

Attachments

• IMG_1867 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_1867 Medium.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1868 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_1868 Medium.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 0
Back