Removing double sided tape

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewmashton

Reaction score
Hello, sort one thing and another crops up, keen to get my plane irons as sharp as possible I invested in a small piece of float glass, different grades of abrasive sheets and double sided tape. It worked, plane irons unbelievably sharp and a pleasure to use. I now need to replace my abrasive sheets, how on earth do you get the old sticky tape off?, I don't want to buy another sheet of glass, it cost me £11. Thanks in advance, cheers, Andrew

Take a sharp chisel and use it as a scraper, then soak the glass in white spirit to clean it. Then invest in some spray adhesive and use that instead of tape. And then give up on all the faffing about and buy some diamond plates. :wink:

I keep a bottle of Sticky Stuff Remover. None toxic and removes most glue that leaves a sticky residue including double sided tape.

("petrol") lighter fluid sometimes called naptha is my goto for removing sticky labels of all descriptions. Should be fine for adhesive tape.
Super useful stuff. Get a tin and you'll be amazed how handy it is. The internet is the cheapest for multiple tins. Kiosks in supermarkets often carry it if you only want one to try.

Steve Maskery":1l9ep1rq said:
Phil Pascoe":1l9ep1rq said:
worn thumbs":1l9ep1rq said:
I find meths works with some glue residues.
as does IPA and cellulose thinners.

What sort of person decides to mix thinners into IPA? Or even the other way round?

There are some very strange goings on in Cornwall.

We save the thinners for improving Healey's cider. :D

What sort of person decides to mix thinners into IPA? Or even the other way round?

There are some very strange goings on in Cornwall.
An industrial chemist - like me
If the two solvents are miscible and they differ in polarity, they can really work well together.
By the way, it does not matter which way around you mix - the result is the same.
Providing either solvent does not precipitate the adhesive you can get quite remarkable results

Try m.e.k. it's the cleaner for plastic pipes(methyl ethyl ketone) .when solvent welding.
Tony

Back