Removing cork tiles.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matress

Reaction score
I'm just about to ceramic tile a 1st floor bathroom. Some of the existing floor has Cork tiles adhered to the floor boards.
Any ideas about how to remove them?

A large scraper and a bucket or two of elbow grease will do it , you could try warming up the cork tiles with a hairdryer/heat gun to soften the adhesive :)

Above advice is good. If the adhesive is weak a flat spade is the quickest way. However, sods law says you’ll probably need the scraper.

Is an oscillating saw the same thing as a reciprocating saw?
I haven't got one anyway but I'll give the flat spade a go.
Thanks guys.

I'm just about to ceramic tile a 1st floor bathroom. Some of the existing floor has Cork tiles adhered to the floor boards.
Any ideas about how to remove them?
Is your bathroom floor solid eg concrete or wooden floorboards and joists. Not wanting to doubt your skills but if it’s a timber floor you may need to lay 12 mm plywood screwed at regular intervals before you think about laying tiles. Tiles laid directly onto floorboards or poorly installed sheet floors will almost certainly crack and break over time ruining your efforts. Also the adhesive you use must be suitable for wooden floors , sealing the plywood sheeting prior to laying tiles will ensure a good adhesion to the plywood. Hope this is helpful..

Back