Removing chip extractor guard/grating?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kicked Back

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an Axminster chip extractor. It has a steel grating to stop you putting your hands into the impeller. But shavings from the planer/thicknesser tend to get caught on it and it jams up. I've found today that this is especially bad with pine and it clogs up every 30 seconds or so.

I was going to dremel it off but then I wondered whether its job is more than just to keep fingers out. And what would happen if something solid (eg. an offcut of wood) were to accidentally get sucked up and make it into the impeller. The impeller looks to be pretty thick gauge steel so I'm not sure it matters much.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Those guards can be a right pain in the bum for that , i would advise not going down the dremel route just yet, try taking thinner cuts and experiment a little with how fast you feed the timber into the machine.:),and a chunk of wood like an offcut could cause a brown trouser moment that is best to avoid:eek:

My axi had a plastic guard which I removed. I’ve not had any issues with it. I’ve accidentally sucked up the odd bit of wood (still small though, maybe coin sized) which has hit the impeller (you hear it hit) but so far so good.

That being said, it was a fairly cheap one so I was happy to chance it

try taking thinner cuts and experiment a little with how fast you feed the timber into the machine.:),

That crossed my mind as I was doing it. It's on the thicknesser so I can't control the feed rate and it was still jamming on a 0.5mm cut. Think I'll just go back to never using pine again!

Ahh the luxury of a speed control ;);) ,the way things are going with timber prices at the moment :eek::cry::cry::cry::poop: pine may soon be the only affordable option for some things :(

Have you considered a cyclone or thein baffle? It seperates the chips etc before they reach the extractor. The downside is, you loose some suction.

I have a Jet chip extractor for my Hammer planer thicknesser. It had a steel cross brace across the inlet of the fan.....After about the 2nd or 3rd blockage, I cut it out with a metal blade in my jigsaw and filed the cuts clean.
Occasionally, i have sucked up the odd larger wood offcut but it has never hurt the impeller. It certainly has solved the blockage problem 👍

I guess before you do it, make sure its a steel impeller ( use a magnet )

Cut the one out of my Fox extractor.
Works much better now but I occasionally get the odd PING!!! CLINK!!! TINGK!!! KAPIIIING!!!! But....meh.

My 2hp extractor does not have a grill. I got it second hand so it may have at one time. About the only time I get anything large enough to make a klunk noise is when I take the hose to clean up the floor. I guess on the tablesaw its possible to get a thin offcut slip through but not if you use a zero clearance plate. I do check the state of the impeller now and then. All good so far.
Regards
John

I have always removed them and never had a problem. I think they are there to stop you putting your fingers in rather than protecting the fan.

My closest accident was putting my hand over the intake of the as was then new dust extraction to see how powerful it was, it sucked it straight down onto the guard. Without it I would have lost my hand. I have subsequently still cut it out!

I had the same blocking issue first time I used mine, and found that the grill was held on by two small screws, almost as if the manufacturer was aware that it would be taken off. Never had an issue, but do recognise the occasional ping noise.

Keeping fingers away from fast spinny things (table saws, routers, etc) should be second nature. Sadly there is always the exception!

But the impeller must be vulnerable. It is no doubt designed to cope with minor impacts - eg picking up small screws, washers etc weighing a few grams.

But a chunk of hardwood?? - if it gets into the airflow I assume it would cause real damage. Unlikely to come from machining (routers, saws etc) but could be debris if clearing the workshop floor.

No point in checking for damage - if it happens you would know about it - seriously unbalanced vibration would be the least of the possible symptoms. Not quite the same - but think bird strike on an aircraft engine!

I hear there is a risk of sucking up steel screws etc - a spark from it hitting the steel impeller which starts a smouldering fire in the dust bag which eventually sets the bag of fire...

I hear there is a risk of sucking up steel screws etc - a spark from it hitting the steel impeller which starts a smouldering fire in the dust bag which eventually sets the bag of fire...

True,...But that's just as likely to happen whether or not you remove the cross from the Impeller inlet....
Unless yours has a mesh across the inlet..??...which I would find unlikely as it would get blocked up all the time.

Mine is a Fercell, with welded ~6mm steel impellor; there's no grille. Small offcuts that get drawn in from the saw do boing around now and then, but no daamage. Grille needed for plastic or ali casting tho'.

Back