Removing bannisters?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
In the flat I'm doing up, you descend from the hall down a short wooden staircase into one of the bedrooms.

The staircase is actually inside the room. It runs down the side of one of the walls. The other side of the staircase has a set of banisters fitted..stopping one falling into the room.

Does anyone know whether Building Regs will let me remove the banister and replace it with a banister fixed to the wall on the other side of the staircase? Or is this wishful thinking

Just makes the room look larger.

Many thanks

Roger

Wishful thinking Roger.

The regs are very clear on this.

I've just finished doing a large one for some clients in Hampshire to make it safe for their young grandchildren.

The bizarre thing is that while banisters have very specific regs governing gaps etc, there doesn't seem to be the same for the actual risers. So in this case, the banister gaps are less than 100mm (or less than 80mm on the landing) yet the gaps between the open risers are at least 150mm!

Nuts.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Cheers

Tim

Tim , I did an open rise staircase a few years ago and the DS made me put steel rods in the gap , i cant remeber what c/c but it must have been the same as landing regs for spindles . This was in London tho and regs do change from area to area i find . Or are more relaxed :D

Back