Removing bandsaw wheel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm trying to take the wheels off my JET bandsaw to change the tyres. The top wheel came off easily after removing the retaining nut, but the bottom wheel will not budge after removing the retaining nut and the washer behind it. Looking at the parts diagram from the manual, there doesn't seem to be anything else that should impede it from sliding off.

Is spraying on some WD-40 a good (or bad) idea? Any other suggestions?

The new tyre was a beast to get onto the top wheel, with several clamps and two large crowbars and a second pair of hands - I really don't want to try changing the bottom tyre with the wheel still on the machine; apart from the practical difficulty, I'd worry that the force from the crowbars to lever on the tyre might damage the shaft. Also, I'd like to know that I can get the wheel off if I need to in the future to change the drivebelt.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,
Ian
PXL_20211021_144009715.jpg
PXL_20211021_144139961.jpg
Screenshot_20211026-224929~2.png

I've been meaning to take a photo of my belt removal tool, should that be the case.
I have stretch on my belt, and the hub for the belt is much larger, so is more
forgiving, and can do without adjusting the motor, and get away with loosening two jack screws but you may want to keep the shaft on the machine?
It's actually a bit of a split sledgehammer handle, a third of a hardwood dowel, perfect for tipping the belt off , but being mindful the belt can be abused by it grabbing it on the pulley and going under the belt.
I'd say it would be easier to take off the shaft and all.

Not sure if the block would make the job easier or not,
Just for interest sake, are they rubber tires was there much of a size difference in them and the wheels?

Tom
SAM_5002.JPG

Last edited:
A gear puller should work to remove the wheel. There is a remote possibility of a grub screw behind the wheel at the shaft key. If you don't want to buy a puller check with any gear heads that like to work on cars or go to a tool rental place and rent one for a few hours.

When I got new tires (urethane ones from an aftermarket supplier) there was an installation tool provided. A simple thing consisting of a stick, a short length of plastic tube with a nail in it. After heating the tire in hot water for a little bit and placing the tire on the wheel. A couple clamps hold what could be put over the rim, The tool was placed between the tire and rim and rolled along to get the tire on. Clamps off and a few passes around the wheel with the tool and it was placed and spread evenly around the wheel. I did mine on the machine and there was a groove (with built in crown) for the tire to sit in, so no glue needed.

Pete

Thanks to you both for the suggestions. Removing the wheel along with the shaft too is something I hadn't thought of, and also I didn't heat the top tyre in hot water, so maybe I should try that for the bottom tyre, does it make a big difference? May also investigate the gear puller suggestion.

The new tyres are urethane, and the wheel diameter is right at the top end of the recommended range for the size of tyre, so it's a big stretch!

Thanks,
Ian

My Inca certainly has a grub screw(as Pete suggested), along with the key. I only found it after I'd borrowed a puller and removed the wheel through brute force.

Back