Removing a taper from a Perform CCL lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topconker

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Perform CCL lathe I use to turn cork handles for fishing rods.
Looking to remove the taper in the headstock which is in pretty tight I see the centre hole does not go right through which would allow me to push/knock out with a round bar.
The question therefore is how do I get the taper off?
Appreciate any help with this one guys.

Cheers,
TC

as a LAST resort, i ended up using a small ball joint splitter between the taper and the thread, but you need to wary of damaging a) the thread and b) the main bearing, luckily mine came out with a few light(ish :oops: ) taps :)
something like this... but i'd wait for some other suggestions before trying it :!:
Short%20Forked%20Ball%20Joint%20Seperater_t.jpg

If you can get a good lock on the spindles (I think that lathe has a spindle lock/indexer) then lock it off and get a pair of grips on it. The grips may mark the thing stuck in there but at least it'll come out!

HTH

Richard

Update..........

Been out to the workshop and had another look with the view to getting the splitter on it.
Used an open ended spanner against the edge of the taper and with a couple of sharp taps it loosened out leaving........
a reduction 2:1 taper in the spindle.
Put a bar through from the outer end to what I thought was a dead end and with another couple of taps the taper came out.

So problem solved,
Thanks for the help guys.

TC

\:D/

Find out what the headstock spindle thread size is and get yourself a headstock spindle thread protector. It's a nut. for want of a better discription, that screws onto the headstock spindle. You fit it onto the spindle and put your morse taper through into the headstock taper. When you want to remove the morse taper drive all you need to do is to lock the spindle and unwind the thread protector. No bashing anything, it just come out nicely :mrgreen: A big plus is that it also protects that so important spindle thread from accidents!!

Bit like if you get a peanut stuck in your ear. All you do is pour some warm chocolat in your ear and it comes out a Treat :oops: :oops: :oops:

Hat, coat, night night...

Your lathe used to be sold by Axminster if I remember correctly? So it could well be worth giving them a ring and this is the type of thing you need http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... prod23520/ . They are really heplful, just ask for the tech guys.

If that's the correct thread then you are home and dry mate!! If not then at least you know what you are looking for.

Jonzjob":17o0slvw said:
Your lathe used to be sold by Axminster if I remember correctly? So it could well be worth giving them a ring and this is the type of thing you need http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... prod23520/ . They are really heplful, just ask for the tech guys.

If that's the correct thread then you are home and dry mate!! If not then at least you know what you are looking for.

MODEL: CCL
MAXIMUM DIAMETER OVER BED: 155
MAXIMUM DIAMETER OVER TOOL REST: 110
MAXIMUM LENGTH BETWEEN CENTRES: 840
SPINDLE TAPER: 2MT
TAILSTOCK TAPER: 2MT
SPINDLE THREAD: 1" X 8tpi (TO4M)
MOTOR POWER: 3/4HP
SPEED RPM: 500-2000 x 10 steps
OVERALL LENGTH: 1570
WEIGHT: 72kg
INDEXING: No