Removing 1mm?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil p

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Ive added a MFT top from a workbench to to a frame I made which originally I was just going to add just the normal flat top, however I'm having a bit bother getting accessories, dogs, clamps etc as the holes are 19mm opposed to 20mm for which you can get a multitude of things.

I was going to buy a set of surface clamps, however the plugs (PVC) on the bottom that go into the holes are 20mm therefore I wasn't going to bother then thought about the possibility of removing 1mm to make them fit.

Any ideas?

Only thing I can think of is sanding them, however this may not be very accurate as I would like the get a tight fit if possible.

Are there any other methods I could try?

If you can find a hole cutter set with blades for 19mm and 20mm holes you can fit both blades at once. The 19mm blade would then act as a guide so that the 20mm blade would cut a hole concentric with the 19mm hole.

A rebate cutter in a router may be able to take off 0.5mm for half the hole depth, then a template flush cutter to make the rest of the hole the same diameter…

but really I wouldn’t, if you make a hole sloppy, most of the advantages of an MFT are gone.

Don't buy any of these clamping systems at all they are not essential. Certain styles of bench and other systems come in and go out of fashion, easily avoided.

Yes never had one and never missed it, – That might be unfair so tell me why would I want one ?
I’ve read somewhere else that’s what you need is a reamer btw

I’ve never seen the point of a scroll saw… but then, I don’t make anything that would use one.

They are very effective at quickly creating reference planes for repeated and/or precise operations, especially with a circular saw and router. Maybe you don’t do that kind of thing?

They also aren’t particularly new, if you’ve been involved in metal fabrication you’ve seen something awfully similar for quite a long time in the form of welding tables.

Well here's an idea to consider --- Google small drum sanding kit or Bobbin Sanding sleeves - you can find them quite cheaply from Screwfix and suchlike. Small mandrill fits in a drill with circular rubber drum attached, sandpaper sleeves slide onto the drum. A 19mm one for example should fit the hole and allow you to remove 1mm off the diameter to get to 20mm

Well here's an idea to consider --- Google small drum sanding kit or Bobbin Sanding sleeves - you can find them quite cheaply from Screwfix and suchlike. Small mandrill fits in a drill with circular rubber drum attached, sandpaper sleeves slide onto the drum. A 19mm one for example should fit the hole and allow you to remove 1mm off the diameter to get to 20mm

It's a nice idea but incredibly labour intensive and nowhere near accurate enough for an MFT.

You could always see if anyone that's close to you has a 'Parf Guide System' that you could make use of.
You could then make one any size you wanted/needed.
I'd help you out if you're close enough.

Problem is the Parf cutter is a fraction undersized for Bench Dogs which require 20mm hole, that's why they're now selling the reamer. I just used a 20mm Forstener to open the holes up a fraction.

Don't buy any of these clamping systems at all they are not essential. Certain styles of bench and other systems come in and go out of fashion, easily avoided.

" Not essential "..??....I was using a load of different dog/low profile/clamping options this morning on my MFT style bench top.....I can't imagine how I would have managed without them....

" Not essential "..??....I was using a load of different dog/low profile/clamping options this morning on my MFT style bench top.....I can't imagine how I would have managed without them....

Jacob does all his woodwork with a flake of chert, everything else is superfluous and just a fad. He would use flint but that's a bit shiny and modern.

There is at least one Veritas hold down that's designed for 19mm holes. There may well be some brands of dogs that are also for 19mm holes. You could get just a handful of these and leave your top alone...

Just as a bit of background info......I was machining a fair number of 19mm thick, Melamine faced MDF sections. The depth of which was 70mm x 800mm in length. I had to apply 1mm thick PVC edgebanding to the long sides and then trim the excess off with a specific powered trimmer.

There can be nothing protruding higher than the 19mm thickness and certainly no clamps on the top surface as they would restrict the run of the trimmer.......How would you suggest I hold / clamp something this size Jacob without the use of low profile dogs and clamping elements...??

Back