Remove lower wheel BS350 bandsaw / change belt?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
I managed to get to the workshop for the first time in ages and my bandsaw is playing up. The belt is slipping off the wheels. I have tried adjusting what I can but the belt must be worn. It either slips off or twists. It's a v belt.
Any ideas how to change belt - the manual doesn't explain. I've tried taking off circlip and remove 3 screws on face of wheel to no avail.
Hopefully these pics will help:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4642039/circlip.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4642039/lower%20wheel.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4642039/partsdiag.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4642039/partslist.jpg
Also where do people get belts from?
Many thanks
Gidon

Thanks Blister.
Wish it was that easy! I think I'd need a bearing puller - I've given a fair wiggle and it's not budging.
Cheers
Gidon

Get someone to pull gently on the wheel whilst you tap the shaft with a hide hammer or use a scrap of wood to protect the shaft and tap with a hammer. (I'm trying to avoid saying smack it one with a lump of wood)

[Edit: deleted as inappropriate given the post by woodaxed who did more research than me]

As regards the flat Poly-Vee belt, this should drive in a reasonable manner right up to the point of letting go completely, looking something like a piece of frayed rag. ( I have spares for my SIP awaiting the day when a split belt finally fails and they have been waiting 18 months now)

For it to come off the pulleys, the only reason I could envision for this would be for the pulley grooves to be clogged with wet sawdust but I dont see any evidence of such in the image.
This is assuming that the motor pulley is not loose on its shaft and moving out of line with the wheel pulley.

ive just spent 20 mins looking at the parts dia etc it shows the outer c clip then the bearing then there is another c clip behind that part no 22 is the outer clip then you have 18 the bearing then behind that 20 internal retaining ring.
looking at your pic i can see at least one bolt in the outer ring so im guessing theres more around it i would say that you have to take the outer c clip off then undo those outer bolts on the wheel and that the outer part of the wheel will then come off to change the belt.

hope this helps

woodaxed":1lz3kw31 said:
ive just spent 20 mins looking at the parts dia etc it shows the outer c clip then the bearing then there is another c clip behind that part no 22 is the outer clip then you have 18 the bearing then behind that 20 internal retaining ring.
looking at your pic i can see at least one bolt in the outer ring so im guessing theres more around it i would say that you have to take the outer c clip off then undo those outer bolts on the wheel and that the outer part of the wheel will then come off to change the belt.

hope this helps

Good catch I had not looked at the parts breakdown, indeed if that is the case then indeed the wheel must be split and my shock method in previous post would do nothing other than provide more frustration.

Many thanks Woodaxed. I found those instructions previously but I'm sure I'm being thick - they're not helping me remove the wheel?
Gidon

well looking at your pic of the lower wheel and having looked at the parts list etc i would say take the c clip off undo the 3 outer bolts that you can see from the face of the wheel and then try and wiggle it off it does look like the wheel is made in 2 halfs from your pics

Weird - above post missing thanking eveyone for helpful and speedy suggestions!

Ok woodaxed thanks - very reassuring to hear someone confirm what I think is the right way - but it's still not coming off. It's probably just stuck.

Will have to give Record a ring when I get a chance.

Cheers

Gidon

It's off! It's a simple as removing the circlip - no need to remove pully assembly bolted on behind. But I guess 7 years of use meant it was very difficult to actually get off.

What did it was actually knocking it firmly on (use a large open head spanner around the spindle - and hit spanner head with mallet). This seemed to de-seize it. Then it came off fairly easily. I've added some cycling anti-seize paste to make it easier next time.

With wheel off I've given it all a thorough clean-up and reassembled but same problem. Will order a new belt tomorrow ...

Many thanks for advice.

Gidon

Well im pleased about that it was making me scratch my head tbh but glad its done hopefully record are fast with the replacement belt for you

Just for completeness - I ordered a new belt from Industrial Component Supplies in Plymouth (great service - 01752 425345) for £4.50 and it's all sorted - Record quoted over £20! Thanks for the help. It's a poly-v belt with 4 ribs, 2.34mm between peaks and 24" long if it helps anyone.

Cheers

Gidon

Thanks, just had the same problem and now have a new belt on its way. Hopefully that will fix it.

Back