Removal Companies

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pvt_Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just got a new Job and it is in Northern Ireland, as I am currently in England I need to get all my tools back (oh and some stuff in the house too). Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced removals agency to use?

Thanks,

Ryan

Probably not so close to you as a Cambridge-based firm, but I recently moved from the outskirts of Peterborough and used and could happily recommend Browns, a family-run company out of Whittlesey:

http://www.brownsremovals.co.uk/

- I couldn't fault them for anything, and they were quite competitively priced. Chatting with them while waiting for the previous occupants of our new house to finish packing, they apparently do a fair amount of long-haul removals, our jaunt up the A1 to Grantham was a short trip by their standards.

From our experience, the only thing I'd say is DON'T touch Pickfords. We thought that, moving from Milton Keynes to Aberdeen, it would be best to use a big national company. NOT. They subcontracted out to a complete charlatan - broke loads of stuff, didn't get stuff delivered for over a month and were generally s**t.
Finally got £600 "compensation" out of them, but the hassle cost far more than that.

dickm":3as759j2 said:
From our experience, the only thing I'd say is DON'T touch Pickfords.

I'm told that the reason for this is that while most smaller removals companies have people on staff who do removals for a living, Pickfords have decided it would be good to cut costs by hiring agency workers who quite often don't have a clue how to pack stuff into a lorry. Like that they can hire some at the start, not pay them for the journey and hire some more at the end to unload.

Normally I'd add "pinch of salt, I was told this by a guy in a local [aforementioned] removals business", but from all I've seen of Pickfords - a couple of friends' experiences and the people we just bought a house off - it seems entirely plausible!

Not relevant to the OP, but Shore Porters in Aberdeen are the oldest removal company in the business - founded 1498 and still going strong, so they must do something right. (apparently they are the second or third longest-existing company of any sort in the world)

A bit nearer the OP, and I heard mostly good things about them when we lived that way, are Wards of Olney.

Thanks all got one sorted. Turns out an old next door neighbour in NI does removals and is actually doing a drop off in Eng a few weeks earlier than I'd prefer but he was going back empty so offered me a rate that is about 25% of my best quote so far.

Ryan

Back