Releasing disk space

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
This is what I have done:

1. Transferred my entire D drive (My Docs and all other data) from my old PC to my wife's NNL (Nice New Laptop, but she's not getting it for another month, so until then, I can play)

2. Zipped it and written it to DVD so I have a proper backup (I really must do it more often, I really must do it more often, I really must...)

3. Deleted the backup off the NNL.

Problem : Deleting the 15G has not released any disk space on the laptop. It also tells me that defragging is not required, so I don't see that helping.

Q How can I release that 15G? Have I done something stupid, or am I missing the obvious? I don't want to give her a machine with a 60% full disk!

I'm running XP Home. I don't even know where to start, so any pointers gratefully accepted.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Neil,
Yes.
Actually I deleted it with SHift, so it never even went into the RB, but I have also emptied everything else from there too.

:(

S

Hi All,
Sorted.
I think I was hosting the National Collection of temporary files. Now got loadsaroom.

Thank you all for your help, much appreciated.
Cheers
Steve

Steve Maskery":2aejm1ea said:
Hi All,
Sorted.
I think I was hosting the National Collection of temporary files. Now got loadsaroom.

Thank you all for your help, much appreciated.
Cheers
Steve

I was given a PC ages ago because the owners had decided that it did not have enough capacity. It was used in the maintenance department of a hotel chain. When I took a closer look I realised that the maintenance guys had just been switching it off (rather than shutting down). 95% of the HD was temp files!

matt":1hqm30ax said:
I was given a PC ages ago because the owners had decided that it did not have enough capacity. It was used in the maintenance department of a hotel chain. When I took a closer look I realised that the maintenance guys had just been switching it off (rather than shutting down). 95% of the HD was temp files!

Anything interesting? Names? Addresses? Passport numbers? Credit card details? Date of birth? Address? Passwords ? :wink:

Back