Relaxation of planning rules

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure of others, but when I heard the government are considering a relaxation of the planning rules so that you can build a single story extension without consent, I immediately thought to myself that all it will achieve is a legacy of flat roof nastiness.

Poorly thought out. They should just extend the settlement boundaries.

Its not new, your permitted devleopment rights already exist, all the announcement will do is allow 2 more metres than you already do anyway.

Got some headlines however

Yep your right 'Willis' the Old rules were for a semi detached house you can go out 3 meters witch has now been doubbled to 6 meters

And for a detached house the ok rules were 4 meters witch have now been doubled to 8 meters

The reason is to try and bost the building trade, my thoughts are that it's a good idea if you plan to extend up in the future, but who wants a 8m single story extension?

Agree, not for one minute suggesting its a bad idea. However the roof can only be 4 meters high, so 8 meters deep, wide as your hoause extension with only a 4 meter roof, mmmmm |I would prefer to see pitched roofs as the same as the original roof and same tiles etc, I am not a fan of two story flat roof extensions on 30's semis! or flat roof Dormers, yuk

Re: Workshop, you can build over 50% of the area around your home, (behind building line, and subject to distances and height etc) but for a workshop you dont even heed to worry about the 8 meter rule.

See the Gov plannning portal website, I think its great and have use to good effect over the years

Back