• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Relaxation of planning rules

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

flanajb

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure of others, but when I heard the government are considering a relaxation of the planning rules so that you can build a single story extension without consent, I immediately thought to myself that all it will achieve is a legacy of flat roof nastiness.

Poorly thought out. They should just extend the settlement boundaries.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
Yes and b****r your neighbour!
There's got to be some control - but sensible?

Rod

Willis

Established Member
Reaction score
Its not new, your permitted devleopment rights already exist, all the announcement will do is allow 2 more metres than you already do anyway.

Got some headlines however

NLH

Reaction score
Yep your right 'Willis' the Old rules were for a semi detached house you can go out 3 meters witch has now been doubbled to 6 meters

And for a detached house the ok rules were 4 meters witch have now been doubled to 8 meters

The reason is to try and bost the building trade, my thoughts are that it's a good idea if you plan to extend up in the future, but who wants a 8m single story extension?

Wildman

Established Member
Reaction score
an 8 mtr extension would make quite a nice cosy workshop, don't knock it

Willis

Established Member
Reaction score
Agree, not for one minute suggesting its a bad idea. However the roof can only be 4 meters high, so 8 meters deep, wide as your hoause extension with only a 4 meter roof, mmmmm |I would prefer to see pitched roofs as the same as the original roof and same tiles etc, I am not a fan of two story flat roof extensions on 30's semis! or flat roof Dormers, yuk

Re: Workshop, you can build over 50% of the area around your home, (behind building line, and subject to distances and height etc) but for a workshop you dont even heed to worry about the 8 meter rule.

See the Gov plannning portal website, I think its great and have use to good effect over the years

Latest posts