Relative Humidity

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Neil
I have a dehumidifier going in my garage and I get it down to around 55% with a temp of around 16 degrees c. I have found everything to be a lot more predictable in the timber department since then.
10% sounds good to me though!
Cheers
Philly :D

Neil,

RH can go up and down very quickly. In the recent cold weather it was around 30% in my workshop. Today with the dehumidifier running it is about 50% and would be a good bit higher were it not for the dehumidifier.

MC content in wood changes more slowly as a consequence of changes in RH - there are tables to show this in various wood books - so it is possible that your MC reflects the cold weather we had, not the equilibrium conditions at present. 10% is pretty good (assuming you have made the correct species adjustment)

How are you measuring MC by the way?

Philly

My workshop was down as low as 44% with a background temperature of 11 degrees using a convector heater on thermostat. I was feeling quite smug until I checked recently and it's gone up to over 60%....but I had got mean and turned the convector down.

So..guess it's a toss-up between using electricity for heating or for dehumidifying.

Which dehumidifier do you use?

Roger

Hi Chris

waterhead37":2u480d4w said:
10% is pretty good (assuming you have made the correct species adjustment)

Aaaaargh, I forgot about that. It'll teach me to read the instructions more closely. Thanks Chris. :oops:

I'm using the Canadian Non-Veritas with pins.

Hi Philly

Thanks for the info.

Also the same question as Roger regarding dehumidifiers.

Cheers
Neil

Neil

I have the same hygrometer and I don't normally run a dehumidifier in the workshop. However, when I first got the hygrometer it was reading 76% - so I brought out the 'house' dehumidifier, suitable for a five bedroom place which also has a hygrometer on it (obviously!). The dehumidifier registered an RH of 65%. So I ran it for a day or two with a cut off level of 50%. Dehumidifier reached it after about 20 hours. Maplins Hygrometer showed 66%.

I'm not saying that the Maplin one is faulty but there clearly is some discrepancy here - could be the dehumidifier. My suspicions are that the Maplins one is to blame though since it always shows an external temp of between 0.1 and 0.5 deg above that of the workshop.

Hey it cost almost nothing, I'd only worry if it was over 80% anyway and I bought it mainly for the clock! The internal thermometer is accurate when compared to two others we have.

I bring timber into the house anyway for smaller items.

Cheers

T

I have a little Ebac dehumid-got it from Homebase for £90. It is quiet, set on automatic (you set the threshold and it turns itself on and off) and works great. Doesn't cost too much to run (certainly not compared to heating!!!!!). It has made my shop a better place to work. Tools don't rust and timber is more predictably stable. o.k., this goes hand in hand with heating, but dry timber is a better thing to work! :wink:
Hope this helps
Dry Philly :D

I've found I needed a little additional heat along with the dehumidifier, otherwise it just shut off 'cos it got too cold. And using it without an outlet tube was an exercise in pointlessness; it filled up too quickly. FWIW.

Cheers, Alf

Still emptying the tank on mine! When I can find the time I will run a length of hose out the wall.
Cheers
Lazy Philly :D

Hi Philly

Philly":36vp0osq said:
When I can find the time I will run a length of hose out the wall.

So it has the facility for fitting a hose.

Thanks
Neil

Hi Alf

Alf":36vp0osq said:
That's what the gap under the door's for... :wink:

What's a gap under the door? :shock:

Cheers
Neil

I am using the digital moisture meter from Axminster but there were no tables for correct species adjustment . Are there any links on the net

Back