Rejuvenating Shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenledger

Established Member
Reaction score
My shed has been up for around 20 years now and the front has some rot at the bottom. The rain has bounced off the decking and had it's toll.
I started out pricing up for new shiplap, but while looking in Wickes i saw they sell plastic shiplap. Strange thing is there is not a great difference in price.
So this is the route to go as i don't want to have to do this again, and i quite fancy it.
What i am not sure of is can i use my sliding mitre saw to cut the plastic. I know i would have to do it slow as it may shatter.

yep should be OK - I have done it with stuff like UPVC fascia board - would suggest a finer tooth blade - like a 40/60/80tooth - doesn't have to be expensive, Amazon sell some Saxon ones for about £15

I suggest reading the product installation information just to be sure it doesn't require any special support or fasteners etc. I built my deck with plastic deck boards and stair stringers using it had to be no more than 1'/300mm apart or you had to put down 2x material under them for support. To handle the concentrated weight of dense people thumping up and down them. On the deck itself 16"/400mm was the maximum spacing of joists. The siding may need extra fastenings to prevent sagging etc.

Pete

So the original shiplap did 20 year.
Does the whole lot really need doing, if not, why don't you just replace the dodgy bit, good to go far more cheaply.

So the original shiplap did 20 year.
Does the whole lot really need doing, if not, why don't you just replace the dodgy bit, good to go far more cheaply.
Surprisingly no, i did a couple of boards as the back 2 or 3 years ago but that was for the same reason at the front of the shed. Rain water splash up.
I have been spraying it every other year as well.

Inspector-- Yes i also have the top decking area to do as well but i don't think i can go it. The bending down would do me in. Would really like to do it bur age says otherwise.

Agree with sachakins just replace the damaged areas (y) any repair will stand out for a while till it weathers a bit . When i built my shop i used the stuff and it has stood the test of time so far almost 20 year's , I only used it as it was free :D but it still sticks out like sore thumb even now :(

The issue with a synthetic solution is that in a few years time you will have a wooden shed, increasingly showing its age, apparently supported by a shiny different shade of plastic.

I suppose it's a case of whether aesthetics trumps durability!

If you don't mind,
What size price is it.?
Maybe a product code?

Yes your right in one way but UPVC is bigger, it comes in 4 metre lengths (perfect for my 12 ft shed and will last longer.
Works out at around £96 for wood (needs treating every year) and £125 for upvc, (no up keep) there are the stainless nails for the upvc which are about £6.

Last edited:
Back