Registration plates

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneggysteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone seen the latest car number plates with a raised profile letters/numbers? Seem to be appearing rapidly - are these a speed camera dodge? Are they even legal??

The ones you are seeing are probably the new fashion 4D plates which, AFAIK, are illegal. Certainly Old Bill round here regularly Tweets about nicking people with them on their cars.

My wife got pulled for having non-standard number plates several years ago - since then I've seen a lot more that are a lot worse.

I think the raised letters are called 4D, as opposed to 3D which are flat but have 'printed shadows' to make them appear raised.

04-04-22 18-42-26.jpg

It's not illegal to sell them. But put them on your car and then drive it a on public road they become illegal.

The website claims 100% road legal, made to BSAU standards here in the UK, fully compliant with DVLA and MOT.

I have "stamped" metal plates. The letters / numbers are raised slightly (like USA, ?). Brought them because other drivers keep breaking the perspex ones which is a fail. Had several MOT's all ok.
Alex.

Hi
To clarify this as we make number plates.
They are legal but must be a single colour black and the correct font.
Also spacing must be correct and the bS number and suppliers name and postcode has to be on the plate and be non removable.

The slight grey area is the numbers must be permanent. 4d is a problem if the digits fall off (shouldn't happen if correct adhesive used) however to ensure this does not happen we print the plates as well as use the acrylic letters to ensure it stays legal if a digit comes off.
Hope this helps

My first car, a 1963 Ford Anglia 105e Deluxe :)

Had 3D number plates, silver letters on a black background.
You don’t say! My first car was a white Ford Anglia 105E too :)
There wasn’t much ‘de luxe’ about it, but it felt like a racing car to me, haha.

The website claims 100% road legal, made to BSAU standards here in the UK, fully compliant with DVLA and MOT.
If they claim they are legal and they are not, maybe a job for Trading Standards or the Advertising Standards Authority.

Legal, decent, honest and truthful?

Much like some of the headlight bulbs for sale 'for off road use only' it may be legal for people to sell them, but not for use on UK roads.

My first was a 1935 Austin 10, a gift. Wish I still had it! It was followed by A40 Cambridge, then a Wolseley 15/50, a brilliant car, served me for years before replacing with an Austin 'Land Crab'. Whilest I had the Wolseley the 'new' reflective plates came out, so me being me I bough a pr.. On a visit to London the law pulled me over & asked where I got them, 'E & M' I said, & that was all. A few years earlier I painted a red border on the old b & w plates, but was stopped by the local cops, they told me to remove the red as it indicated a temporary import ! I was oblivious to this - oops!

Back