Regional Listings for users?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary S

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

Not sure if this has been discussed before (can't find it anywhere!), but what do people think about the possibility of having somewhere in the forum where people can post to other people within their 'region'?

The benefits I can think of are:
- if someone has a problem with a tool another local user may offer to come round and help.
- pooling together to buy timber / tools for a discount.
- tips / advice / watchouts on local suppliers
- buying / selling tools locally

I think it would be worth having but not sure what the rest of you would think? I guess it's more value for the Hobbyist woodworkers amongst the forums rather than the pros?

The other thing to consider would be what "Local" is! I live in Potters Bar, Hertfordshire - so "Hertfordshire" would be great but is probably too small an area, but "South East" would be too big an area.

Thoughts?! :)

Cheers

Gary

damn good idea for you UK workers :p
but I thought Charlie made LOCATION in the profile form compulsory ????

That info would help loads.

HS waiting for the wind to die down :?

ps laying the straw bales at LAST :D

NickWelford":2o61w9vf said:
It would help, Gary, if users put their location in their profile (hint) then at least you could see it on the posting........

I don't know what you mean - I have it on my profile?

(I didn't just add it to my profile, honest... :oops: )

I know that's useful and means people can contact someone if they notice they're in the same area, but for me it would be more about specific discussions relating to a region that don't really apply to the whole country or internationally.

Well I think it's a great idea. I live in Hampshire, on the south coast. I often think it would be useful to exchange "hands on" tool tests, techniques, advice, tuition etc. Woodwork is a great interest to have, but it would be nice to swap support ,even if it's just a hand moving a machine or something. I too think location should be compulsory in the profile
Cheers

I don't see this as a good idea. If you want to address a region, just say so in the thread title for example:

Wanted help in Berkshire (or wherever) or:

Get-together in Cockermouth etc..

The forum would be too fragmented if we started to faff about with sub-regions..

just my 2p.

Like BB, I can't really see that there are many discussions that are regionally specific (except possibly advice on local wood supplies). Gentle pressure to include locations, and clear headers with an indication of the region if it's essential seems fine.

Gary S":3voocq7f said:
I guess it's more value for the Hobbyist woodworkers amongst the forums rather than the pros?

In fact it would probably be more useful to the pros, as a £1 per board foot or £5 on a man made board can equate to a lot of money over a years buying.
That being said we tend to telephone each other when .
looking for a better deal as often we need to know immediately.

But I do think that location on the profile,as a rough designation would be nice.

Dom

Hi Gill,
Well, not sure if that's cool or not, could be a bit sinister :)

For example, how does the info get on there??, how come some of the UKW people in Europe are already on there??

And most important...........Is it safe

Nothing sinister, we are in there because we added ourselves, Alf set this up a long time ago. The display has changed but the data I added is still there.

I think its not a bad idea and have upgraded my profile to name the county I live in. I'd quite like to meet up with local forum members.
Think I missed a chance on Saturday by not attending Woodex as planned.

Ignore Byron - he just does not want to admit to living in Essex and is thus obliged to wear white stilettos & gold "coloured" ankle bracelet.

DomValente":anxp0xeo said:
Damn it Charley, you keep teasing :? When ???????

Well I would like to think it'll be online within the next month [-o< but knowing me it could be next year :whistle: :-s

The bit that's taking the time now is converting the old content to the new system but I'm getting there and the end is in sight :) [-o<

Back