Regency fluted leg - tricks please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much Setch - not really bang-on if you saw them in the hand... but within reason I do like a bit of 'handmade detailing'. Mr Krenov's 'leave fingerprints' again, and I did :lol:

I know this is too late to be useful, but I think it will be of interest to all those who read this thread originally.
I've just seen a really illuminating video (thanks to a link from Steve Branam's blog - Steve I hope you don't mind me diving in with this.)

It's from furniture makers Doucette and Wolfe and shows turning a leg, then marking out and cutting tapered reeding on the legs, using a scratch stock guided by a box. Easy when you know how!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEdgGVtmqtg

Thanks for that link Andy. Apart from the fluting of the legs, this is a good, if rapid, demonstration of basically hand cabinet making to a high standard.

xy

Very well found Andy. Odd what we spot... he is so confident on the lathe he works the gouge both ways (getting the planing angle just right). His 2-sided jig for the scratch is what you found before and seems a preferred way of controlling the scratch-stock. But I would still use a one-sided again... it's way quicker to make and a little side pressure will see you OK. Just like we use marking gauges for example.
NOTE he pitches the scratch as he moves along, to get the reducing depth. (I do hope the scratch profile isn't simply 'round'., cos that would miss a trick.. :(
And I noted the finishing - no matter how good the scratch work, you will need to get in there with gouges etc to tune the ends.

I really love this kind of work. I am now spending far more time seeking out the real handmade details. Man v machine. ( The machine will win. The man will be remembered.)

condeesteso":1bmsn0dl said:
His 2-sided jig for the scratch is what you found before and seems a preferred way of controlling the scratch-stock. But I would still use a one-sided again... it's way quicker to make and a little side pressure will see you OK. Just like we use marking gauges for example.

The 2 sides box needs to be made very accurately - the sides MUST be parallel to hold the scratch in place for its full travel, whereas a a single side approach is much less constrictive.

However.

If you were doing a batch run (and they are) perhaps the slight increase in ease of the 2 sider of use is repaid over time.

BugBear

Back