Refurbish advice.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadrunner45

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am planning to refurbish some old hardwood garden chairs and would like to know what is the best way to clean up and what finish I would need to protect the chairs for the future?
Below is some images of the current state of the chairs.

Thanks for your hel.

Attachments

• 7EA73EAD-85CA-4B17-81B6-BDA19B629FEA.jpeg
    7EA73EAD-85CA-4B17-81B6-BDA19B629FEA.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 27
  • CAC0D8C3-92A7-4044-BE2F-E7C14848EF37.jpeg
    CAC0D8C3-92A7-4044-BE2F-E7C14848EF37.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 25
I have some similar chairs and a table I got from B&Q years ago. I used to try and keep them all looking pristine by sanding and oiling them etc but now all they get is a good wash down in spring with a scouring pad and plenty of water. Much easier and they have gone a nice grey colour which I really like.

Like doug said, its a fight to keep them looking new.

But if you want to bring them up again, buy some oxalic acid on ebay, do a first c9at with it and it shoukd be fairly obvious where theres still any original finish, which you can then scrape or sand off.

Ive recently used sadolin water based varnish, which seemed ok and only added a bit of darkening to the oak and just yesterday painted on some polyvine, which had virtually no effect on the colour of the wood...... i have no info on longevity but it claims to be good. Very milky, thinner than the sadolin

I have some similar chairs and a table I got from B&Q years ago. I used to try and keep them all looking pristine by sanding and oiling them etc but now all they get is a good wash down in spring with a scouring pad and plenty of water. Much easier and they have gone a nice grey colour which I really like.
Hello, thanks for your reply.
Do you have any tips on the sanding as they have been outside a few years and could do with a rub down , what sandpaper grade do use and do you use a sanding block or some other method?

Like doug said, its a fight to keep them looking new.

But if you want to bring them up again, buy some oxalic acid on ebay, do a first c9at with it and it shoukd be fairly obvious where theres still any original finish, which you can then scrape or sand off.

Ive recently used sadolin water based varnish, which seemed ok and only added a bit of darkening to the oak and just yesterday painted on some polyvine, which had virtually no effect on the colour of the wood...... i have no info on longevity but it claims to be good. Very milky, thinner than the sadolin
Thanks for your reply, i think the wood is teak and can’t see any old varnish so i imagine it was originally oiled , would you still use the oxalic acid or another cleaning method?

Hello, thanks for your reply.
Do you have any tips on the sanding as they have been outside a few years and could do with a rub down , what sandpaper grade do use and do you use a sanding block or some other method?

I just used some 120 grit paper although you might find some of the sponge sanding pads useful. The problem with sanding is you can soon end up with things looking patchy as you end up sanding the easier bits more than the awkward bits or you really concentrate on an area which has water stains. Sometimes this isn't obvious until you put the finish on.

I got some stuff for boats, wessex teak cleaner.
It's two parts, the first one cleans the surface the second one lightens it up and renovates it.
Works very well, then just oil it or whatever, owatrol is good.

Ollie

Oxalic acid usually does a good job of removing stains and weathering bringing timber up like new.
2 part treatments are often sodium hydroxide followed by hydrogen peroxide. Ive had good results on mahogany using just peroxide from boots

Pressure washer is good but some are very powerful and can cut into the timber and mark it. Best to keep back from the wood a good bit. I did my dads as his were covered in lichen I sprayed them with a decking cleaner first then a quick power wash and then used 3m abrasive pads (cant remember which grade. You can get into and around legs and backs quite easily with them. Then teak oil. They didn't quite come up like new but a big improvement.

Back