Refinishing help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madaseyeh

Reaction score
Hey all, new here and to restoring, this is actually my first project, I have two units here I stripped one and sanded one yesterday, the one I sanded I varnished yesterday but did not get the look I was going for,
IMG20210331102218.jpg

IMG20210331102224.jpg

As you can see it's too dark and you can not see the grain or the boarder any more, I used Dulux varnish.
IMG20210331102255.jpg

I have another piece here that has been stripped and sanded,
IMG20210331102049.jpg
IMG20210331102030.jpg

So my question is how do I get the top to match the rest of the cabinet where I can see the grains and patterns and get the sheen look, I'm guessing I used the wrong varnish on the first unit, any help will be much appreciated, and as I said I'm new and this is my first project so please go easy thank you.

Looking at the image of the varnish - it's likely to be one that contains a stain/pigment; intended to darken the substrate.

A clear varnish would likely give you the tone you want, but for that sort of cabinet I'd be considering shellac. You can buy it ready mixed, but I find buying flakes and methylated spirits and mixing your own gives a better product. Shellac does dry very quickly though, so it takes a bit of practice to brush a large flat area smooth.

Alternatively you could look into French Polishing. I have done some (a very long time ago) but wouldn't feel confident trying to give advice on the technique.

Is it not dark enough? I can’t really tell what’s wrong from the picture

By the looks of things you have got the wrong varnish but if you want a good nice shine get some hi gloss yatch varnish it dose what it says on the tin also carnt beat it if you got a Poundland near by get it in there at a pound a pot but get a few just in case for the work to be done yatch varnish is tough and water proof hence the word ok.😇

By the looks of things you have got the wrong varnish but if you want a good nice shine get some hi gloss yatch varnish it dose what it says on the tin also carnt beat it if you got a Poundland near by get it in there at a pound a pot but get a few just in case for the work to be done yatch varnish is tough and water proof hence the word ok.😇
well I do have another solution which means strip the whole lot and get all the parts to a smooth finish then get a mahogany COLRON beeswax polish and apply it straight on and before you use it read what it says on the tin ok when this stuff is on leave for around 20 mins then hard buff it’s up but bear in mind the more you put it on the darker it gose ok nice stuff but has a smell and is around £11 in Wilkinson’s that’s if you have one near by but one thing good stuff but messy when you use it ok.😇

Hey all, new here and to restoring, this is actually my first project, I have two units here I stripped one and sanded one yesterday, the one I sanded I varnished yesterday but did not get the look I was going for, View attachment 107168

View attachment 107169
As you can see it's too dark and you can not see the grain or the boarder any more, I used Dulux varnish.View attachment 107170

I have another piece here that has been stripped and sanded, View attachment 107171View attachment 107172

So my question is how do I get the top to match the rest of the cabinet where I can see the grains and patterns and get the sheen look, I'm guessing I used the wrong varnish on the first unit, any help will be much appreciated, and as I said I'm new and this is my first project so please go easy thank you.
Shellac coat after coat, maybe 50 or more, It is very time-consuming, but you will get the best results. I used to watch my grandfather who was a cabinetmaker and French polisher when I was small. People have no time these days every thing is rushed . have patience and you will have your results. good luck

well I do have another solution which means strip the whole lot and get all the parts to a smooth finish then get a mahogany COLRON beeswax polish and apply it straight on and before you use it read what it says on the tin ok when this stuff is on leave for around 20 mins then hard buff it’s up but bear in mind the more you put it on the darker it gose ok nice stuff but has a smell and is around £11 in Wilkinson’s that’s if you have one near by but one thing good stuff but messy when you use it ok.😇
Hey all, new here and to restoring, this is actually my first project, I have two units here I stripped one and sanded one yesterday, the one I sanded I varnished yesterday but did not get the look I was going for, View attachment 107168

View attachment 107169
As you can see it's too dark and you can not see the grain or the boarder any more, I used Dulux varnish.View attachment 107170

I have another piece here that has been stripped and sanded, View attachment 107171View attachment 107172

yeah you certainly did get the wrong stuff and that stain type varnish is crapp that’s all and it’s most probably got a polymer init as well and amongst other chemicals to make it look the way it looks ok.😇

Back