Refinishing chairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickDReed

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got some of those "farmhouse" style dining chairs. They're in need of a clean up (so I am reliably informed by the missus who seems to want replace them with some s**t from Next). As I'm incapable of throwing away anything that is; 1) wooden B) structrally sound & 3) "perfectly bloody fine we're not spending money on 6 new chairs!", I have negotiated the restoration of our existing dining chairs.

Does anyone have any good tips for removing the finish from back spindles that hold most of the "muck" my better half takes issue with? I assume I'll strip them all back, maybe stain and then varnish them. If anyone has done similar and developed an efficient system I'd love to hear it. Otherwise it's going to be a long job.

She thanks you in advance (I'm sure)

Hi Nick, been there and done that with my (now gone) other half, my beech Ercol chairs had got a bit grubby in places, it wasn’t so much the rubbing down and getting rid of the grubby, it was matching up to the bits that weren’t rubbed down. Mine were the lighter variety, and the finish had gone a little bit orangey looking, it suddenly occurred to me that button French polish would blend in perfectly, and it did. Can’t comment on yours of course.
What wood are yours Nick?

Paramorse and wire wool? It contains what Nitromorse paint stripper did years ago when it used to work!

It won’t be too bad a job if you set up a mini production line. Stick some Paramose on one let it soak, work on the next and return to the first after the Paramose has done its job. If the stripper has dried you have left it too long.

Nice job for a rainy afternoon :)

Hi Nick, been there and done that with my (now gone) other half, my beech Ercol chairs had got a bit grubby in places, it wasn’t so much the rubbing down and getting rid of the grubby, it was matching up to the bits that weren’t rubbed down. Mine were the lighter variety, and the finish had gone a little bit orangey looking, it suddenly occurred to me that button French polish would blend in perfectly, and it did. Can’t comment on yours of course.
What wood are yours Nick?

Ah, I knew some one would ask. I'm terrible at identification. I'm guessing beech, I'll get a picture and post it, you may be able to tell me.

I'm currently redoing the table which was pine in reclaimed oak (white I believe).

Excuse cat

Attachments

• IMG_20201025_074348.jpg
    IMG_20201025_074348.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 17
Paramorse and wire wool? It contains what Nitromorse paint stripper did years ago when it used to work!

It won’t be too bad a job if you set up a mini production line. Stick some Paramose on one let it soak, work on the next and return to the first after the Paramose has done its job. If the stripper has dried you have left it too long.

Nice job for a rainy afternoon :)

Wire wool!! Of course!! Why had that completely fallen out of my head?!

Not supposed to rain today, but my production line will be set up soon enough

Back