refinishing a table top and chairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halo Jones

Established Member
Reaction score
We have had a dining table set for about 15 years and it has been great but the abuse that a growing family has given it means it needs to be refinished. The table and chairs are made from some kind of tropical looking wood - a bit like rubberwood but more the colour of beech. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good hardwearing finish? I should also add that while I plan to strip the table top back to bare wood I wasn't going to do the same with the chairs - only cleaning up the worst bits. What is the best way of going about matching the existing finish?

Thanks,

H.

Not such a good idea for the tabletop but my chairs (Ercol) which are beech and decades old were rejuvenated by cleaning off all the marks and scuffs and then wiping on a couple of coats of button polish – a coloured variety of shellac, It blended in perfectly. Ian

Going back to bare wood followed by a short oil (interior) varnish is as tough as you'll get if you're applying by hand. Whether it's right for you is, I guess, your call.

For the chairs, if they're to match the stripped and refinished table, that would suggest following essentially the same procedure as above. I would understand if that doesn't suit you.

I suppose, in truth, your OP is a bit light on useful information that would help with guidance. For example, are the chairs to match the table, or is your aim to only to get the chairs to match each other? Slainte.

Latest posts

Back