Referring to specific forum posts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked this up on another forum and thought it useful. It ensures that the message cited is displayed not just the topic's page.

Notice the tiny page icon (
icon_minipost.gif
or
icon_minipost_new.gif
) sitting humbly in every message header. Besides indicating read/unread status, it houses a permanent, precise, bookmark-able link to itself. You can copy or bookmark its URL using the usual commands for your particular web browser (as a rule, you right-click or ctrl-click it).

You can then paste this URL into a forum message that you're composing. This is a good way to cite a message precisely, and removes the need to give approximate directions, such as: "Look in topic 'blah' for a message from 'wossisname' with subject 'fnugle'. I'm sure you'll find it."

UNQUOTE

Hot damn! That's clever; saves a lot of url editing. A thousand blessings on your head for passing it on, Chris. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Cheers, Alf

Scott":bk08uh7y said:
Surprised Alf didn't after 6000-odd posts either! :lol:
Ach, don't. The more I think about it, the more I have a nasty feeling I've read this tip before but totally failed to remember it. I'll go back to chewing the straw - apparently I have a review to write. :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I hadn't even noticed the little picture top left never mind used it :oops:

thanks Chris

I noticed that it works too if you want to refer to a particular page of a post (If there are more than 1) by right clicking on the page number:

[ Goto page: 1, 2 ]

Back