Reducing waste on tongue and groove 22mm chipboard flooring options?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I encountered this exact same problem with my build - it had a small sliver at the front edge maybe 150mm, 4 boards wide, all along the front. I wanted to just use one board for the 4 length width.
I looked at getting router bits to put the grooves back into offcut boards but gave up looking in the end and just bought 4 extra boards. Seems wasteful but seems like the only way
Martin
For my last three full boards with three cut pieces at the ends I ended up just cutting each end at 90 and gluing up with a buttt joint and leaving wedged tight for 24 hours. Seems to be solid for me now and im putting 7mm pvc interlocking tiles down on top so should be ok. If there is any movement in them spots in the future I will lift tiles inspect and if they have come loose I will count my losses and remove the butted boards and replace with new t&g boards. Still had the top edge with the tongue into the groove so should stay put. :) (y)

I'm guessing your joints fall on a joist in that case. Mine don't.
Martin
In your case I agree with you. I would just buy the extra boards but mine is a floating floor consisting of dpm - 100mm concrete base - dpm - 50mm celotex - vapour barrier - 22mm chipboard t&g - 7mm pvc interlocking floor tiles so luckily no joists to have to sit joints on

Ah yeah, so in that case you don't even need to think about it the joists. Glued butt joints the winner for that application

Martin

Latest posts

Back