Reducing spiciness?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disco_monkey79

Established Member
Reaction score
I made a big batch of kung po chicken, following a new (to me) recipe.
It's yum... until the heat of the chilli kicks in... :oops:
Next time I'll dial down the chilli, but does anyone have any tips for taking the heat out of this batch?

Thanks all - bottle of wine and pot of yoghurt will accompany tea tomorrow...
Happy weekend everyone.

Any dairy will work btw. Cream etc Also cream of coconut at the risk of altering the taste obvs.
Alcohol works too hence the red wine suggestion from Bob.
Happy days eh?
Now you have to drink booze otherwise you'll starve.
8)

What? what? you mean I'm actually doing the right thing to drink red wine? :shock: :shock:
huh, thats taken all the fun out of that. :roll:

I'm going to stick to TSINGTAO Beer from now on 8) 8)

Well, I guess it's only the "right" thing if it's too counter-act my p!ss-poor cooking.
In all other circumstances, it's very naughty, so crack on... And save some tsingtao for the rest of us!

disco_monkey79":1vgcybx5 said:
I made a big batch of kung po chicken, following a new (to me) recipe.
It's yum... until the heat of the chilli kicks in... :oops:
Next time I'll dial down the chilli, but does anyone have any tips for taking the heat out of this batch?

As others have said...mix into it some yoghurt...much better than having it as a side dish.

did you use fresh chillies? I take the seeds out of mine, don't like them blowing everybody's face off, works for me.

Other option is cream

The Capsaicin in the chilli is soluble in oils which dilute the hotness so anything with oil or fats helps.

Might be no use to you in Kung Po Chicken mind you - I've never cooked it- but do make a load of curry and naan etc.

phil.p":1h0t4cis said:
sunnybob":1h0t4cis said:
I'm going to stick to TSINGTAO Beer from now on 8) 8)

Cyprus fizzy water too strong for you? :D

The on island southern side apology for beer (keo) wouldnt be too strong for a new born.
However, the north side sells Turkish EFES. Now THAT is a nice beer, even though i've never understood how muslims can be so good at making something they cant drink.
But when eating asian food, the least you can do is have the correct alcohol. =D>
My 2nd favourite asian food is Thai green curry, full strength, with a handful of peas thrown in.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I used to drink Efes when sailing in Turkey. I didn't think it was anything special. Used to drink Keo in a restaurant in Surrey, quite liked it. Takes all sorts...

If you are cooking a Chilli con carne the secret is to put dark chocolate in it, that mellows the heat a lot.
As for oriental food, coconut milk?
But if you want a real fearsome Chinese cooking sauce here you go, I got it from the You tube channel Souped up kitchen.
Duo Jiao (Fermented Hot chilli sauce)
1 ld of chillis, (I used ring of fire cayenne & habanero cos thats what i had most of growing in the greenhouse!)
1 bulb of garlic
a big chunk of ginger
6 tbsp of salt
1tbsp of sugar
3 tbsp of strong alcohol, vodka, brandy.
Remove stalks & rough chop the chillis, garlic & ginger in a blender put in a bowl & mix in rest of ingredients. Cover & leave for a few days then put in jars. Will keep for about 6 months in the fridge.
A teaspoon of this sauce in a stir fry for three people is proper hot enough for us. Two would be like eating molten Lava. It is bloody gorgeous!

Latest posts

Back