reduce energy on standby

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Spectric

Established Member
Reaction score
There are now cunning systems that can increase summer CoP to around 8 and in winter to around 5.5.
Is that not the wrong way round, you want the better efficiency when the usage is higher, ie winter. Some people in Cumbria may be getting the ideal underfloor heating when the government gets round to burying all the radioactive waste, that will be good for at least ten generations providing you are willing to become sterile and bald.

nickds1

Established Member
Reaction score
Is that not the wrong way round, you want the better efficiency when the usage is higher, ie winter. Some people in Cumbria may be getting the ideal underfloor heating when the government gets round to burying all the radioactive waste, that will be good for at least ten generations providing you are willing to become sterile and bald.
I don't think so - in winter, the GSHP has to work much harder to get the required temperature rise to the property so lower CoP; in summer, the ground is already warmer so the GSHP has less work to do, so higher CoP.

The critical figure is the required "uplift" - the lower it is, the better the CoP.

Last edited:

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Ah ................. that's what caused it .:ROFLMAO:

fred55

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I've gone and done it 18 solar panels, controller and 2 x batteries on order - will keep this thread upto date on my view of : is it worth it or not !! yep after paying out my money i'll try to be non bias. - start with roof 41 degrees 30 southeast. most of my full sun will be early morning till 4ish. Please No Black Cats - ie; could have told you that; i'd have done it for nowt!; why dint you ask; last week I had one to give away; well that's what Black Cats do in Yorkshire.

Sideways

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I've gone and done it 18 solar panels, controller and 2 x batteries on order - will keep this thread upto date on my view of : is it worth it or not !! yep after paying out my money i'll try to be non bias. - start with roof 41 degrees 30 southeast. most of my full sun will be early morning till 4ish. Please No Black Cats - ie; could have told you that; i'd have done it for nowt!; why dint you ask; last week I had one to give away; well that's what Black Cats do in Yorkshire.
Good man.
We have now 9kW peak (24 panels) on a similar SE facing roof. They have been running for 6 weeks now and in the month of May produced 850kWh of energy. That's about a quarter of our current annual electricity consumption if only we were able to store and use it all.
The battery is on a boat due later this year but meanwhile I've turned off the gas hot water heating as the solar will heat at least one and more often 3-4 tanks full of steaming hot water over a day.
MyEnergi Eddi is well worth looking into.
Having the generation biassed towards the start of the day is no bad thing. You can heat water, charge a car and battery, do chores in the morning then go out in the afternoon.

I'm sure payback will be nearer 20 years than 10, but the panels are guaranteed to degrade no faster than 0,25% a year over 40 years !

Scruples

Established Member
Reaction score
That holds true in Ac circuits providing both current and voltage are RMS values. Multiply this by Sin Theta to get real power and by Cos Theta to get reactive or imaginary power which you may or may not be charged for.

Reactive power was really only of concern to large industries with machinery and lots of motors where there was a high percentage of inductance, but now it seems households are seeing more reactive power though capacitive loads as in switching power supplies and modern technology.

When looking at energy suppliers it is important to bear in mind their daily standing charge, so if you turned off both your gas and electricity you will still get a bill. High energy users can accept slightly higher standing charges for cheaper unit rates wheras low energy uses may accept the slightly higher unit rates for lower standing charges.
I think it's Cos (phi) not theta.

HamsterJam

Established Member
Reaction score

Sandyn

Established Member
Reaction score
The Ladybird book ‘Batteries, Bulbs and Magnets’ started my interest in electricity and that led me to a career in engineering
I met a lot of engineers that used the same training manual!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ....its a joke. don't anyone take offence please😁

Latest posts