• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Redex

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a simalar note does anyone know if in tank dpf cleaner actually works?

Cheers James

Remember in the old days when petrol was dispensed by attendents? I did the job at an Esso garage, looking after shop and pumping fuel; and if not too busy to give the customer's windscreen a quick wipe and to push "shots" of either Redex or STP, at something like 5p(?) a shot. I think that was probably when a service station was a service station and not a self-service station as it is today

I can remember my father "treating" the car with Redex - must have been a Ford Consul in about 1958 - running it immediately after treatment and it emitted clouds and clouds of white smoke. No idea what the treatment did, or why?

I can remember my father "treating" the car with Redex - must have been a Ford Consul in about 1958 - running it immediately after treatment and it emitted clouds and clouds of white smoke. No idea what the treatment did, or why?
Twas meant as an upper cylinder cleaner to extend time between decokes. And, wow, how the smoke smelled.

I think there was a cleaner, the smoke inducing one, and a regular additive you put in one shot per gallon. Or was it 2 things? Maybe you used the additive in the petrol tank then for a special treat squirted some into the inlet manifold every few Sundays (Sundays being washing and polishing day for many).

Back in the 50s and 60s, lower compression clunky push rod engines, longer stroke, lower rpm, much less swirl in the combustion chambers, less sophisticated oils and petrol additives, redex claimed to reduce the need to de-coke and regrind the valves and lubricate the valve stems etc where oil failed to.

Racers used it, lots of sponsorship. From them and STP, so mass market appeal. Maybe my Cortina will go as fast as Jim Clark if I use redex :)

I don't see the point today, marketing department milking a familiar brand.

If I still had a side valve Foed 100E I might pop some in occasionally.

Or a bit of port polishing on the 2 stroke Vespa... Similar, must have been 70s, but I still have the valve spring compressor, the little sucker on a stick and the grinding paste just in case I need a decoke and regrind...

Lawn mower perhaps?

Ooh, redex in the lawnmower? Maybe I can cut the lawn quicker. Not a ride on but I can walk fast.

Don't "knock" it - get it? - I restored an old Lightweight Land Rover 2A and engine that was bit smoky, so tried Redex. It actually seemed to clean and perk up the old machine.
On the other hand, I found an ancient tin marked Carburol in the back of the garage. It seems to be similar thing dating from 1920's or 30's. Haven't had the nerve to try that out..... but the lawnmower is an idea!

I think Redex was sold as an “upper cylinder lubricant” the idea I guess being that going in with the fuel it somehow lubricated the valves and rings,,I cannot imagine it really worked though, I also saw people pouring it into the carb with the engine running, the impressive and probably ozone destroying plume of white smoke was somthing to behold,,the belief was that this smoke was a result of it cleaning out or decoking the engine,,again I think its very unlikely.
STP I always thought was an American oil additive,,but maybe they did their own version of redex too?

A good way to clean a diesel engine is to put petrol in by mistake - cleans it out a treat. (Don't try this at home, obviously).

I haven't had to put fuel in a car myself for years - not since I last went to the UK. It's been so long I would have to have a think about it, otherwise it could all go horribly wrong. Besides, who is going to clean the windscreen?

Remember in the old days when petrol was dispensed by attendents? I did the job at an Esso garage, looking after shop and pumping fuel; and if not too busy to give the customer's windscreen a quick wipe and to push "shots" of either Redex or STP, at something like 5p(?) a shot. I think that was probably when a service station was a service station and not a self-service station as it is today
I don't think 5p's had even been invented then :) I guess that must have been down south somewhere, up here in Lancashire it was free at the garage I used.

I think Redex was sold as an “upper cylinder lubricant” the idea I guess being that going in with the fuel it somehow lubricated the valves and rings,,I cannot imagine it really worked though,
I never used it myself, but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. On the oother hand I wouldn't imagine the fact that it produced clouds of exhaust smoke would inspire me to trust it.

STP I always thought was an American oil additive,,but maybe they did their own version of redex too?
I never tried the STP oil additive but I did once try Wynn's, a competitor, with dramatic results. A colleague of a friend of mine had a lovely old XJ6. He got a neighbour to service it for him and after that it made the most horrendous noise. It sounded like someone was inside a cylinder thumping the engine block with a lump hammer. He put the car away in the garage and bought a Rover. I heard about it and bought the XJ6 for cheap. Driving it home was awful, with all pedestrians looking round to see what was making the terrible noise. I didn't know what was wrong with it but on a whim I poured in a can of Wynn's and left the car idling for a couple of hours. Problem fixed, never to return. I can't explain it but I was impressed. And relieved!

On a simalar note does anyone know if in tank dpf cleaner actually works?

Cheers James

I have seen various feedback from users, but it is ike sharpening on here. some swear by a certain one, others dismiss it. I haven't seen anything conclusive or scientific.

Latest posts

Back