Rededa No. 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all - new to UKworkshop, but keen on tools (my vice/vise, you know).

I will post later on the great thread on history of record etc QR vices.

Obviously Woden, but also Rededa could be added to that as both have long histories, but also Dawn of Australia go back a long way.

Anyway, back to Rededa: If you don't know already, the range of Rededa QR wood-working vices included a small, but solidly made, 6" wide model with a different QR: - twin bars, buttress thread and halfnut, but instead of a lever the threaded rod simply lifts off the half-nut and is dropped back onto it when in position - ie, gravity, no spring. It works well enough - mine is in good nick. The key is that the threaded bar has an elongated slot, not a close hole, in the front casting, and pivots at its other end. This limits the max opening to about 6 1/2 ins without added cheeks - quite useable.

It has a nice front jaw casting - cast in: "Rededa No32 patent 387474/33 Reg No 717731" - is this 1933? - anyone good at online patent searches?

Now I'll go and take a pic or two, figure out how to upload and post about this and my Syers and Parky vices, maybe on that other thread.

OH YES -- here's what I'm looking for -- anyone know about Woodhead, Bradford cramps and vices?

best
danny

Summer's coming

Here is the patent Danny:
https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publica ... cale=en_EP

I assumed Rededa was a company name but it seems the maker was actually Charles Neil and Co of Campbell Works and Rededa was one of their trademarks.

s13743.jpg

Picture from Picture Sheffield

Thanks very much for that info

The patent description is just right for the vice.

Bridge St (Campbell Works) is a short walk from my house - one side all redeveloped but the other still has Atkinson Walker works - hand making saws, especially circular. It's also just around the corner from Kelham Island industrial museum with the magnificent Ken Hawley tool collection.

Here's a picture of this Rededa vice, on top of my outdoor 'sit-on' bench with a Parkinson's Perfect 9in end vice - first version, with very heavy,long base (of 4? versions) which also works very well (once I'd replaced the broken coil spring with one from a Record from at least 60 years later).

Thanks

rgds
rededa2.JPG

danny

Attachments

• rededa2.JPG
    rededa2.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 292
Welcome to the forum, Danny, I think you'll fit right in. Over the years we've had all sorts of questions which would have benefited from someone able to pop into the Hawley and check something. I've only been three times and only met Ken the once, but I'm very glad I did.

View attachment 77255View attachment 77254Righto, you're welcome to this bar and lever for the cost of p&p.
Unless there is a chance of somebody bringing it to you?
Either way we should be able to get it sorted 😉

For reference against Record sizes the bar is 16 5/8" long X 3/4 X 1/8 and the fixing hole is 3/16 from the edge.
The lever hole is 1/2"
Hi Toolsntat. Would it be possible to buy the yolk that goes at the end of the two bars and threaded section. I have just bought a Rededa vice with this bit missing. Many thanks John

Hi Toolsntat. Would it be possible to buy the yolk that goes at the end of the two bars and threaded section. I have just bought a Rededa vice with this bit missing. Many thanks John

It might take a bit of finding John but if you bear with me I'll have a look.
In the meantime are you sure that the screw and half nut are not too worn to impair the use of the vice?
You should be able to do the checks I've previously mentioned in this thread without your missing end piece.
Cheers, Andy

Thanks Andy
I’m picking the vice up on the 31st so haven’t been able to carry out the checks yet. From the pictures it looks in reasonable condition. If it fails the test I’ll let you know ASAP.

OK, how do I mount this thing...? Most vices I’ve seen have a normal flat back and doesn’t have these reenforced corners. Blimey.
When you get ready to fit it's not difficult to mark the position of those 'webs' and then make a couple of closely spaced angled saw cuts for each side, knock out the waste with chisel or similar - doesn't need to be fine cabinetwork as all will be hidden.

Fine Sheffield-made vice approx 1930s to 1960s.

Hi Andy.
picked up the vice Wednesday. All looks good. Vice works and takes a loading on the screw in different positions. It was in a shed buried under a load of other stuff, so is not too rusty, and hasn’t been used for years. There is still some grease on the thread nut! Any luck with finding the yolk?

Hi Andy.
picked up the vice Wednesday. All looks good. Vice works and takes a loading on the screw in different positions. It was in a shed buried under a load of other stuff, so is not too rusty, and hasn’t been used for years. There is still some grease on the thread nut! Any luck with finding the yolk?
Digging my way through, hope I can find it.
Cheers, Andy.

Right, I'm somewhat perplexed, I've got through to where I would expect it to be but alas no joy.
Sorry about this John, there are other places but can't imagine me stashing it there.
Cheers, Andy

Hi Andy
Thanks very much for looking for the yolk. I didn’t mean for you to go to lots of trouble. If you should stumble on it in the future please let me know. I’d still be interested in buying it off you.
Thanks again
John

Hi Andy
Thanks very much for looking for the yolk. I didn’t mean for you to go to lots of trouble. If you should stumble on it in the future please let me know. I’d still be interested in buying it off you.
Thanks again
John

No problem chap, it was a good reason for me to clear stuff that shouldn't be there.

Cheers Andy

Latest posts

Back