Rededa No. 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osvaldd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have acquired a redida quick release vice today at my local carboot, its my first real woodworking vice, and its lovely. The only problem is that its missing the lever and a metal bar that engages the quick release mechanism. I doubt I’ll find a replacement so I want your ideas on some kind of DIY solution. Screwdriver somewhat works, but I’m looking for something more permanent.
Cheers, and happy Easter.

Attachments

• IMG_4061.JPG
    IMG_4061.JPG
    704.8 KB · Views: 964
Funnily enough, I think I've got a spare bar, lever, and spring for a Record 52E somewhere.

Not sure whether they would fit but you're more than welcome to them if I can find them again :oops:

And, not withstanding Trevanions generous offer I have a Rededa No2 lever and a metal bar that engages the quick release mechanism "in stock" as they say.
From looking at it I'm not too sure that the Record parts will fit?
It looks smaller than the Record.
Just shut up the shop but can confirm tomorrow.
Big question, where are you based?
Cheers Andy

toolsntat":ogf3jr0w said:
I have a Rededa No2 lever and a metal bar that engages the quick release mechanism "in stock" as they say.

Can't really trump the real deal! Surprising what pops up when you ask around :lol:

Osvaldd":4cgvuv1w said:
@toolsntat I'm in NI Tyrone.

Oh, blimey!
Was hoping you or someone passing might drop in and take the whole vice.
Before you get to deep into this, do you know that the vice will work when being tightened to a decent pressure without it "jumping"?
The one I have here does just that owing to wear on the halfnut and yours (due to the age) may do the same....

Here is a good way to test a vice,
Take 6 inches of 4X2 and with the vice upside down put it in the jaws and tighten it up as much as you dare :shock:
If the screw is worn it will "CAM OUT" (loose grip) and jump open a bit

Repeat test on all 3 sizes 8)

2nd test is jaw pinch, vertical and horizontal.....
Vertical-- place wood upright in jaws, tighten and check that ONLY the top edge is gripping the timber.
Horizontal-- Repeat as above with timber to one side of jaws and check the other side has not closed excessively

3rd'ly look very carefully for cracks .......

Cheers Andy

I did the tests and I must say the vice has passed them all with flying colours.
I just took it apart for cleaning, the half nut looks quite alright, cant see much wear or any damage.

Attachments

• IMG_4070.JPG
    IMG_4070.JPG
    361.6 KB · Views: 849
IMG_20190421_145320_649.JPG
IMG_20190421_145635_499.JPG
Righto, you're welcome to this bar and lever for the cost of p&p.
Unless there is a chance of somebody bringing it to you?
Either way we should be able to get it sorted :wink:

For reference against Record sizes the bar is 16 5/8" long X 3/4 X 1/8 and the fixing hole is 3/16 from the edge.
The lever hole is 1/2"

Attachments

• IMG_20190421_145635_499.JPG
    IMG_20190421_145635_499.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,039
  • IMG_20190421_145320_649.JPG
    IMG_20190421_145320_649.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,043
Postman Pat brought me this cardboard tube this morning, dog was very pleased, I was pleased too.
Thanks Andy (@toolsntat), all working perfectly.
Many thanks to @Trevanion too.

It’s interesting to see how basic yet effective the quick release mechanism is but it also worries me that it can be easily abused.

Attachments

• IMG_4118.JPG
    IMG_4118.JPG
    438.2 KB · Views: 609
  • IMG_4115.JPG
    IMG_4115.JPG
    399.1 KB · Views: 608
Match made in heaven! =D>

P.S. Just remember to not do too much heavy hammering on something clamped in a vice, it's the fastest way to snap the rear casting which is how I've come into possession of a couple of knackered Record 52Es out of a college skip. Always best to clamp the piece to the workbench above a leg for morticing and general hammer work.

Is there a specific lubricant for vices? I have some paste wax and 3-1 oil.

Glad to see the parts put to good use Larry.
The real person behind this though is "andychip" from this forum who offered this doner vice as a FREE TO COLLECTOR a few years back now, I launched the toolie lifeboat and never managed to sort it.
Needless to say that lifeboat has resulted in quite a stash :roll: :lol: You should see the trammel head "orphanage" :shock:
Cheers Andy

This post is a perfect antidote to the whining and tantrums going on elsewhere and for me truely represents what this forum is about.

I think a very light oiling is all you really need on the screw, and possibly a couple of drops in where the handle meets the front of the vice to lubricate that surface too.

toolsntat":194xai0n said:
Glad to see the parts put to good use Larry.
The real person behind this though is "andychip" from this forum who offered this doner vice as a FREE TO COLLECTOR a few years back now, I launched the toolie lifeboat and never managed to sort it.
Needless to say that lifeboat has resulted in quite a stash :roll: :lol: You should see the trammel head "orphanage" :shock:
Cheers Andy

"Trammel Head orphanage"
Could I offer a good home to an Eclipse 33 head?
My solitary one is a bit lonely.

Bod

Sorry to hear your Eclipse 33 is in need.
Alas the Eclipse 33 s I have are all paired up.
If I see one in the wild Bod, I'll let you know :wink:
Cheers Andy

OK, how do I mount this thing...? Most vices I’ve seen have a normal flat back and doesn’t have these reenforced corners. Blimey.

Attachments

• IMG_4124.JPG
    IMG_4124.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 342
I've never seen one that had reinforcements like that, does make fitting it a little more tricky but not a lot more.

It all really depends on what design of bench you have got, if you've got a 3" thick benchtop which you can just sink the vice into next to a bench leg that's pretty much ideal. If you've got a bench with an apron it makes it a little more tricky as you'll have to knock a hole in the apron to mount it to the underside of the bench and then recess it into the apron.

I don’t have a proper workbench yet, Im doing my woodworking on a garden table with a plank of wood clamped to it and a wee junior vice.
I’m gathering timber for a proper bench though. At the moment I have some 3” thick pine/spruce that I’m thinking of using for a bench top.
I'm not sure on the design yet.

Attachments

• IMG_4130.JPG
    IMG_4130.JPG
    483.9 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_4131.JPG
    IMG_4131.JPG
    491.3 KB · Views: 323
Back