Redecorating and radiators

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodchips2

Established Member
Reaction score
When I started decorating many years ago I used to drain down and remove radiators before repapering. Then our heating engineer advised against removing radiators because of the risk of increasing corrosion in the system and the need to rebalance the radiators after the system was reinstated.

In our current property some of the radiators are almost floor to ceiling height and it would be a two man job to remove and replace them so I just paper around the radiator. It doesn’t look as nice as the paper running behind the radiator but has anybody got any ideas for a solution to hide the gap? I’m not a big fan of radiator covers because I feel the warmest place in the room is inside the radiator cover!

Regards Keith

This probably won't help you, but when I plumbed in my radiators, I made sure the inlet and outlet pipes were in line with the valves and had a few inches straight run below the floor. When I decorate, I turn the valve off at each end, slacken the fittings at least a turn. Lift the radiator off the brackets and rotate 90 degrees away from the wall on supports. A few drips may come out, but no problem once tightened up again. I don't drain the radiator and they are out of the way for decorating. I don't think removing a radiator would cause any real problems. If worried about increased corrosion, add inhibitor. If you note the starting point of the balance valve before shutting off and restore to an identical position it should be OK.
rad.jpg

I’m sorry I can’t remember the details, my son was showing me a new sort of valve fitted to his radiators so that you don’t need to drain them down to remove them, might be worth having them fitted when you get the plumber to remove them this time. Ian

I usually simply paper (or these days usually paint) round the radiator.

With little trouble you can get sufficiently behind (5-10cm) so that the failure to remove the radiator is evident only by squinting behind from close to the wall.

Only issue is if the radiator design has gaps and behind is obviously visible - victorian cast, towel rails etc.

Wot Sandyn said, or just paper/ paint in as far as you can.
Use a mini roller to paint in add far as poss, or use it to press down the paper, as will get in further than a papering brush.

This probably won't help you, but when I plumbed in my radiators, I made sure the inlet and outlet pipes were in line with the valves and had a few inches straight run below the floor. When I decorate, I turn the valve off at each end, slacken the fittings at least a turn. Lift the radiator off the brackets and rotate 90 degrees away from the wall on supports. A few drips may come out, but no problem once tightened up again. I don't drain the radiator and they are out of the way for decorating. I don't think removing a radiator would cause any real problems. If worried about increased corrosion, add inhibitor. If you note the starting point of the balance valve before shutting off and restore to an identical position it should be OK.
View attachment 110250
I like that....,would never have given it a thought 👍😀

View attachment 110250
From what I've seen, that's a fairly standard way of doing it.

View attachment 110250
just what I was going to suggest, have always done this. If you are worried about leaks then you can always release of reduce the pressure on the system first, but in practice you will only get a few drops which can be dealt with by just wrapping some kitchen towel round the pipe below the valve beforehand.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.

I could get a plumber to remove and replace the radiators but I waited two months for a plumber to replace a pair of kitchen taps. I would also prefer not to disturb the system if possible.

I will paper just behind the radiators but I was after any new ideas to hide the gap.

Regards Keith

Back