Red Ivory & Leadwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger C

Established Member
Reaction score
H i all a Red Ivory bowl / box with Leadwood finial I made for a swap on another forum
I also added a alternative finial a warthog tooth as both the finials can screw on and off
Box 100mm h 112 w Finial 128mm long Finish numerous coats of Woodoc 10 applied by hand with a piece of old t shirt a new little piece for each coat. Used the dry small piece of cloth as abrasive between the first 4 coats. All c & c welcome Regards Roger C
withfinial1.jpg

Click on image with tooth for a bigger picture thanks

Hi Roger,

I really like the little form but must confess that I, who seems to have a reputation regarding finials, do not really like this one. I reckon its much too big and overpowers the main event. The warthog tooth does nothing for me at all :(

However, as with everything, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so I'm sure the recipient will be delighted.

Look forward to seeing some more of your work.

Roger C":3qhv0biy said:
Thanks Gus3049 & 12345Peter for your comments.

I keep going back to them and the bottom one is growing on me. I do like finials, the tallest one I have done is 3/4" to 1". The wood looks great, although I have never heard of red ivory before. Great stuff.

Regards

That is a very nice bit of turning Roger I to keep looking because I'm not sure about the finials the first one seems a bit fat in the middle but the more I look the more I like it and the tooth has a lot of potential but not on that form maybe on something a bit rustic but non of that takes anything away form the quality of your turning it is just my personal opinion and what do I know by the way love the red Ivory I have never seen it before

Thank you Woody & Peter. You most likely know the Red Ivory as Pink Ivory all of it comes from Africa just we call it Red Ivory because that is whats in all the tree books and this piece came from a 3' x 6" x 6" piece. Regards Roger C

Just had a look at your Photobucket pics. There is some stuff on there that I really like. Some of the woods you have available seem fantastic.

Love the Meercat idea.

gus3049":1th3xj2o said:
Hi Roger,

However, as with everything, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so I'm sure the recipient will be delighted.

I AM delighted!!! It has pride of place in my living room. All kids' stuff has been banished. :lol:

As the recipient (and tardy return-sender), I HAVE done one fallback bowl, Roger, I just want to see if I can better it before comitting it to the mailman!

Greg

Roger C":3lmqjlae said:
You most likely know the Red Ivory as Pink Ivory all of it comes from Africa just we call it Red Ivory because that is whats in all the tree books
I use Pink Ivory all the time but have never seen that.

Hi Gordon Thanks for the comments re photos.

Lightweeder See my comments re Red Ivory

Goulss Yes it goes brown in time but if no uv will stay a little longer red

Regards Roger C

Goulss":3vw4b9en said:
Both nice, but I do like the finial.

Just out of curiosity do you know if the colour fades like Purpleheart does?

I didn't know that purpleheart fades, is it quick or does it take years? Is there anything to be done to delay or reduce the fading?

regards

High Peter all wood changes color in time some quicker than others and it is normally brown when it changes. Purple Hart I am not sure of try Google or try a post on one of the USA forums they use a lot of P H wood.
Lightweeder This piece of Red Ivory was from an old tree and very near the core which in a lot of African woods is rotten when they are really old, they soil and climate in which a tree grows also plays a part in the color. For what are you using the Pink Ivory?

Roger C":1v08buol said:
Lightweeder This piece of Red Ivory was from an old tree and very near the core which in a lot of African woods is rotten when they are really old, they soil and climate in which a tree grows also plays a part in the color. For what are you using the Pink Ivory?
I use it quite a lot when making hand-spinning tools. It's hard enough to get in a good raspberry pink, but I certainly never saw it quite that red before. Lovely.

Back